Renting bicycles?

PureLuck347

Looking online, I saw mention that there is a bicycle shop near the dockyard that rents bikes.. Not scooters, but pedal bikes. Would the terrain/roads be rideable for 11& 9 year olds? Has thought this may be fun to ride to jobson cove if it was close enough.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Peral bikes rentals are not that easy to come by. There are places in Hamilton and Eve's in St. Georges' rents them. Even if Oleanders rents them ay Dockyard, it is NOT advisable to try to ride to Jobson's Cove. There are no shoulders on which to ride and the roads are quite narrow so definitely not for 9 and 11 year olds. Also,it's about half an hour by fast bus so pedal bikes would take quite awhile.

My husband rented a bicycle last week. when we were in Bermuda last week. There were two locations at the West End Dockyard that rent "pedal bikes" (you have to very clear saying that you want to rent a "PEDAL BIKE" because if you just say "bike" they assume you want a scooter).

The two locations are Oleander's, which is to the right of the clay works, and Eve's, which is to the right of the entrance to the courtyard that leads to Frog and Onion and the craft center. He ended up renting from Eve's because the price was slightly less and they opened up earlier in the morning.

My husband ended up riding on the rail trail, probably 2/3 - 3/4 of the way to the other end of the island, and he had a good time. I saw his pictures and he had some very nice views along the way. He said that they gave him a mountain bike and he was glad of it because the trail was sometimes paved and sometimes not, and there were places where there were some hills (from where trestles once existed but are now gone). He did say that he had to ride on some roads and sidewalks for a little ways because the rail trail doesn't start until you get to Somerset village. I'll ask him tonight if he thinks that part is safe enough for kids. Alternatively, I suppose you could probably do okay just riding the bikes around the wharf. I'll also ask him if he remembers if they had kid-sized pedal bikes - they might not.

Sue

Just re-read OP regarding riding to Jobson's Cove. Hmm, don't think I'd recommend that unless you're there in low-season and cooler weather. Looks like ~10 miles? I could manage that, but not sure about kids. Also you have the problem of getting there from the rail trail. Although a map indicates some back roads that run between the rail trail and the beaches, I'll bet they are very hilly, from what I remember of the terrain in that area.

Thank you for the info! We live in MA, and where we are is very hilly, not little runs, but long and steep. I was thinking to look up a topography map to see the "hilliness" of the island. But reading the replies, I think a taxi may be the way to go, or ferry to st George's. My thinking was a nice looong bike ride would wear the kids out! ;)

Thank you for the info! We live in MA, and where we are is very hilly, not little runs, but long and steep. I was thinking to look up a topography map to see the "hilliness" of the island. But reading the replies, I think a taxi may be the way to go, or ferry to st George's. My thinking was a nice looong bike ride would wear the kids out! ;)

You absolutely can't take children on that type of ride in Bermuda because of cars....its about 25 minutes by bus. I would recommend taking them on a public bus to Warwick long Bay and walkig the trail back to Horseshoe Bay, they will never forget it. Just be aware at some places you are up on steep cliffs, so tell the kids not to go near the edge before you start walking. Jobson's Cove is the first little Beach on your left as you walk from Warwick to Horseshoe. You can swim at Warwick and Jobson's Cover before you head out on your walk...you will need real shoes, not flip flops. They will love it. You dont need a map just go to the right if you are facing the ocean and standing at Warwick Long Bay...every divergent path you get to head to the left (closer to the ocean). You will end up on high bluffs hundreds of feet in the air. Bring water and sunscreen and do not try it a 3pm on the last day...do it the first or second day of a three day stay.

Cheryl,

Thank you for that! Now you have my brain gears spinning... Should we do jobson cove/Warwick, or... Tom Moores jungle, and find the caves...

Well you can do both..... But I am telling you the views from this walk....they will feel like they are on the top of the world....... Plus they can swim at every beach......

There is nothing like a bike ride through the countryside though.

If you decide to rent a pedal bike after all

You could hire one from

Eve cycles /www.evecycles.com/

or elbow beach cycles http://www.elbowbeachcycles.com/

My husband loved his half-day on the pedal bike that he rented from Eve at the dockyard. He stuck to the rail trail and said there were some beautiful views from there.

Archived