NCL Wind - 11 Days - Shore Excursion

docksidr

Brag and boast a little, also help out a fellow cruiser. What was you favorite shore excursion on your Hawaii cruise. Either from the ship's selection or something you found on your own. We are a family of 4 with 2 older teenagers 18 and 16

we're leaving on 7/2 - 11 day cruise. we have 2 sons 18 & 15. I'll let you know what was a hit and not. Right now we've planning to do Pearl Harbor (they're suggestion, we do something historical on each trip), Biking around Kileaua Crator Rim (NCL tour), renting a car for the two days in Maui, Helicopter in Kauai (SafariAir) and then Captain Zodia snorkel in Kona (NCL). Can't wait.

We traveled with our 2 children who were 21 and 17 at the time and enjoyed each island immensely. Before our cruise left we drove to Diamond Head and climbed it and went to Pearl Harbor. We rented a car at each island through Priceline and it worked out great. On Kauai we went to Island Helicopters and got a tour of the island - absolutely awesome. When we were done we drove out to a waterfall and did some shopping. In Hilo we drove to the National Park to see the lava flow and lava tubes. While in Maui we drove to Hakalea (spelling?) and it was amazing - be sure to stop at the little trails that are marked. We stopped at one and it seemed like we walked forever with just the same view and just as we were about to go back we turned a corner and it was like we had landed on the moon - the landscape changed so drastically! After that we drove to Lanai, but didn't have much time there so that is a definite for our trip next summer. Our trip also went to Fanning Island and we enjoyed touring the island with one of the residents.

There is so much to do and see I'm sure that you can find plenty that you will all enjoy.

• 2 weeks later...

We took the Trilogy excursion to Lanai through NCL in Lahaina Maui. It was well worth the money! The catamarans hold around 100 people. There were only 34 folks on our catamaran and they were all from the cruise ship. Trilogy must have an arrangement with NCL not to add additional people other than NCL folks because the other Trilogy catamaran we saw was packed! I think it was my favorite stop in Hawaii. The snoreling was good, the scenery magnificent and we saw a ton of dolphins all round the catamaran going over to Lanai. The food was excellent and Trilogy really caters to you. After being with Trilogy, I was not impressed with Bodyglove in Kona. Too crowded, not as much persoanl attention/assistance for beginners, food not as good, etc.

Nancy

Last August my family did the 11 day Wind cruise. We did several shore excursions thru the ship.....

We really enjoyed the waterfall hike on the Big Island. It was a chance to see alot of the island as well as hike up along side a waterfall. It was a highlight for us. My children ages 23 and 18 were going horseback riding instead of the hike, but the horseback riding was cancelled when the itinerary was reversed due to weather problems with a hurricane. So they reluctantly joined us for the hike. It was very nice. We had several photos taken with us standing under the waterfall. I have one of these on my desk at work. So many people remark it looks amazing.

My husband and I went ocean kaying and snorkeling in Maui. It was fantastic. We kayaked out into the ocean for about 45 minutes, then snorkeled for about an hour and a half. We saw so many turtles, sea urchin, starfish, octopus, and beautiful fish. I took so many great underwater photos. After getting back into the kayaks, we ate Maui Gold pineapples and drank mango sodas while looking at the most amzing scenery. It was just perfect!

While my husband and I were kayaking, the kids went surfing at the beach near the ship in Maui. They really enjoyed themselves. They got a CD of there surfing adventure.

Also in Maui, we also went to the Maui Ocean center and the Nani Mau botanical garden. They were both beatiful and enjoyable.

In Kauai we went to the Waimea canyon which was very nice, and we toured the island. It was beautiful. Bring loads of film for your camera, you will need it! Enjoy. I hope this helps! Kathy:)

DH and I were just talking a couple of hours ago about our favorite experience in Hawaii and on our NCL Wind 10 day tour. #1 on our list was the Napali beach break on Fanning Island. It was such a highlight. We also loved visiting Pearl Harbor, the helicopter rides on Kauai and also The big Island (over the volcano). In Maui we went on the snorkle excursion that was supposed to go to Molokini....we ended up at the turtle cove because the current at Molokini was too rough...dh loved it anyway (it made me a bit motion sick). No matter what choices you make you can't go wrong on this cruise or anywhere in the Hawaiian Islands. BEAUTIFUL! Have a great time!

My 19 year old son says "Jack Harter helicopter ride in Kauai." We booked that on our own. My 22 year old daughter says "horseback riding in Maui, Haleakala ranch." (NCL shore excursion) It was a long ride, & she said it killed her knees because of the hills, but still her favorite although probably not a good beginner ride if you haven't ridden before. I liked the Polynesian Culture Center as well as the helicopter ride, & enjoyed the "Big Kahuna" NCL shore excursion after dis-embarking (to kill time before flying home.) If you have time in Oahu & an entertainment coupon book, Kualoa ranch has a coupon for buy one, get one horseback rides. We bought 2 of the books just for the Polynesian Culture center $27 coupon (books are marked down to $10). In Hilo, I'd recommend a rental car to see the Volcanoes National Park over the bus tour - we were able to make many more stops on our own.

Karen

Hilo - Lava viewing adventure (through the ship)

This was great!! Hard walking and very hot but really neat to see running lava.

Fanning - Special beach

Also loved this beach. We found puffer fish to play with and enjoyed just being in totally clear knee to ankle deep water. We walked from one side of the beach clear to the other just checking out stuff. The crabs were fun to play with also. This beach is cleaner and not so many flies as the main island. We did not stick around the Fanning very long because of the flies. Our 14 year old said this was her favorite!!

Kauai - convertable and tour on our own

Not enough time but it was fun. Too many waves for good snorkeling. The botanical garden was fun to visit.

Maui - SUV and road to Hana on our own

Long day. We went all the way around. We were on the road to Hana at 10:30 and back to the starting point at 5:30. We decided to go down to Wialiaha to snorke but it was not a good snorkel spot either. We ended up getting behind a wreck that stopped traffic and almost missed the boat. Our 12 year old thought this was here favorite!

Kona - Shogun snorkel/fishing combo (they only take 6 people)

We were not allowed to get off the boat because the tendering process was too dangerous. BIG Dissappointment.

Jeff parents (60's with bad back and can not sit or stand long)

Hilo - Volcano National Park and Rainbow Falls (through the ship)

They loved this tour and it was just enough walking and riding

Kauai - Waimea Canyon, Wailua River & Fern Gratto (through the ship)They had to switch to the botanical garden because My MIL did not want to ride in a car for over one hour. She was pretty sea sick. But they loved getting to see both of the gardens that they went to and were very impressed with the information that the guildes provided that you wouldn't know if you were on your own

Maui - Haleakala Zipline (through the ship)

Chickened out and went on the Atlantis Submarine at this port. They liked it.

SIL, BIL & single adult niece (25)

Hilo - Hawaiian Eco Safari (through the ship)

Really enjoyed this - and it sounded like they really got to see a lot of this side of the island

Kauai(niece) - Poipu Beach surf lessons (through the ship)

She really did learn how to surf and had a great time

Kauai (SIL & BIL) - went shopping

Plenty of little shops with a lot of shuttle buses.

Maui - Haleakala Zipline (through the ship)

They loved this!!! Said it was a blast!

Breeding,

When you went to the Volcano National Park, did your shoes get ruined during he walk from walking on the hot/warm ground? Did you take an extra pair of shoes just for this excursion.

We're on the July 23rd sailing. Looking forward to it.

Thanks,

eskie9

Do you remember who you booked your kayaking and snorkel trip with when you were in Maui. Was it through the cruise line or did you arrange on your own? Was it out of Lahania? The curise line (NCL) is offering this same type of excursion and was wondering if it was the same one you took.

Your experience is the type of excursion fun we're looking for.

Thanks! :)

Breeding,

When you went to the Volcano National Park, did your shoes get ruined during he walk from walking on the hot/warm ground? Did you take an extra pair of shoes just for this excursion.

Thanks,

We were advised to wear our hiking boots but my DH said we were not taking boots for one day. My DH, DD, and myself bought a cheap ($10) pair of heavy tennis shoes to take and the only ones that were ruined were my DD. The next day the soles fell right off so she just wore flip flops the rest of the trip. The rest of us just have really cool scars on our shoes to show everyone. My oldest daughter took her really good and expensive pair of running shoes because her feet hurt if she doesn't have really good shoes. Her shoes got the deepest and most cuts but were still good to wear the rest of the trip. Have fun!! It really is an awsome experience.

Dear pdsm,

I booked the kayaking and snorkeling in Maui thru the ship. I believe that this excursion was out of Lahaina but I am not certain. All the days blended together. It was great and well worth the money. The equipment was great and the snorkeling site was very nice with loads of sea life. The guides were very informative and helpful. I used two disposable underwater cameras when there.

Hope this helps!

Kathy:)

luv2travel2beaches, which of the two helicopter rides did you enjoy the most. I am trying to decide between Hilo - over the volcano, or Kauai through the canyon and to the Napali Coast - such a dilema!! I'm afraid if once I pick one, I'll find that on that island there is something else that I can't miss! You are the first one I've seen on these pages who has done both so I'd love to have your opinion.

lhall85917 or anyone welse who use priceline, I am thinking of renting cars via priceline but not sure about pick-up and drop off. Did your car rental agencies pick you up at the port and return you there or is that for full price customers only?? I read on one thread that if a shuttle is provided they only pick up the driver (my DH) sounds like I will be standing in the port area waiting for him to come back for me. I don't really like that idea - it will take up precious time. Did you have this experience? Where is pick up for cars on each island - is it the airport? Did you get a good rate - did you bid or take their comparison shopping price? Did you book all cars on one bidding or separately?

I told you folks I had tons of questions!!

Thanks in advance.

Lisa

luv2travel2beaches, which of the two helicopter rides did you enjoy the most. I am trying to decide between Hilo - over the volcano, or Kauai through the canyon and to the Napali Coast - such a dilema!! I'm afraid if once I pick one, I'll find that on that island there is something else that I can't miss! You are the first one I've seen on these pages who has done both so I'd love to have your opinion.

lhall85917 or anyone welse who use priceline, I am thinking of renting cars via priceline but not sure about pick-up and drop off. Did your car rental agencies pick you up at the port and return you there or is that for full price customers only?? I read on one thread that if a shuttle is provided they only pick up the driver (my DH) sounds like I will be standing in the port area waiting for him to come back for me. I don't really like that idea - it will take up precious time. Did you have this experience? Where is pick up for cars on each island - is it the airport? Did you get a good rate - did you bid or take their comparison shopping price? Did you book all cars on one bidding or separately?

I told you folks I had tons of questions!!

Thanks in advance.

Lisa

Not that you asked - but we also did the helicopter over Kauai and it was awesome! That was recommended as the place to do the helicopter in Hawaii. We rented cars 2 years ago and there was a shuttle at each port that took us to the rental pickup - all 4 of us rode the shuttle each time. Things may have changed since then, so I'm interested in seeing some other responses too. We booked each car individually through Priceline for between $16-$20 per rental for a compact car. At that time the comparison price wasn't available - you only had 1 option - bid and take what you get. It worked out very well for us; however, I would now research thoroughly if shuttles are available for all companies at all ports and options for parking overnight. I also don't like the idea of one person going to get the car and coming back to pick up the other passenger(s).

Back from 7/2 cruise. It was great and so was the weather.

The likes and dislikes from our boys 15 & 18:

Excursions: (1) Biking the Kileaua crater. Boys loved it, especially speeding down the hills. At first they weren't impressed with the crater until they realized how big it was and seeing the tiny people walking in the crater (put things into perspective). We booked through NCL.

(2) rented a convertible in Maui and visited La Perouse Bay, snorkeled, then went to Big Beach - great waves. Visited the Ioa Needle. Drove around and stopped at several sites along the way.

(3) Helicopter ride (SafariTours). Great trip. Then we walked to the beach (near pier) and the boys went surfing ($12/hr to rent boards).

(4) Fanning Island - we didn't to the Napali Beach - boys walked around the island area and gave out 'sugar free candy" to the kids. They loved it. One even got a headband made out of a palm leaf as a thank you for giving out the candy. They also played volleyball, basketball and watched the ships crew play a game of soccer with the island kids (some very good soccer players!!).

(5) Kona - Captain Zodiac Snorkel. The boat ride was fun and the snorkeling was good - great coral reef and fish. Lots of fun.

(6) Oahu - visited the Arizona - arrived at 7:20am - LONG LINE already. Took about 1 1/2 hours to get tickets and another 1 1/2 to wait for the tour. While waiting three bus loads of cheerleaders arrived - so that kept them busy for a while :). Boys were glad we waited. We then visited the North Shore, went swimming, drove around the island and stopped at the viewing areas to take pictures.

They met lots of kids on the ship.

Enjoy!

Thanks for the information!! Sounds like you had a great trip. Did you like the folks at Safari Air? How long was the ride? Was this in Kauai?

Wow, an hour and a half just to get the ticket at the Arizona??? Was this on a weekend? We will be there on a Monday. I hope it wont be that crowded when we are there. DH cant stand lines. Not my favorite way to spend a day either!

Thanks for all the info.

Lisa

(1) Safari Tours was great. We were in Kauai. Greated us a the pier. The heli tour was 55 minutes (long enough). Bought the video tape of our tour. If you do go, they don't allow bags (even pocketbooks) so leave them at the ship. (2) The Arizona - we were there on a Friday. They said it was like that everyday!!!

CruisinQs,

Thanks again. A couple more questions please....

How much was the video? Did you see the Canyon?

In your comment about purses, did you mean Arizona or helicopter tour doesn't allow them?

Thanks,

Lisa

the video was $20. we also had to pay the Hawaiian tax which was $16 per person. We saw the Canyon (flew into it), saw Napali coast line (no other way to get there besides hiking), flew into a crater. It was unbelievable!

No bags (pocketbooks, etc) at both Arizona and on the Helicopter.

OK ... I was wondering if the State of Hawaii had some special tax on helicopter tours! That makes more sense though a search on Google on that brought up that helicopters may qualify for exemptions from the Federal Transportation Tax which just confuses the matter more. :confused:

Spleen

Brag and boast a little, also help out a fellow cruiser. What was you favorite shore excursion on your Hawaii cruise. Either from the ship's selection or something you found on your own. We are a family of 4 with 2 older teenagers 18 and 16

UFO Parasailing offers parasailing in Lahaina and Kona starting at around $50/person. You can use a 2-for-1 Entertainment Book coupon for their $62 deluxe version, which works out to just over $30 a person. My 20 year old daughter had a blast.

Archived