Playa Mia Help

kanda

Think I am right, but want to make sure I'm not missing something? Is the only way to go to Playa Mia through a ship excursion? We can't just taxi there and pay for entrance?

ps....Any advice for a great excursion to do with a non-swimming 4 year old? (She loves to be in the water, but needs to be calm "easy" to get into and out of water) I think that takes Chankanaab out of the picture, right?

Thanks!

There is a direct website to book Playa Mia through which is cheaper than through the ship.

http://www.cozumel-watersports.com/excursions/playamiadaypass.html

At Chakanaab when you talk about "easy" do you mean waves?

Because the entire western side of the island where Chankanaab is, is the calm side with very little wave action. (plus Chankanaab has a pool and lagoon with zero waves and easy access.)

The eastern side of the island is facing the Ocean and has very heavy surf and big waves...

Hope that helps...

Bill

Playa Mia has an easy entry beach and it is gentle. They also have an awesome kiddies water park. We were just there 2 months ago and I have a review with TONS of pictures in it. You can click on the Playa Mia link in my signature to get to it (just make sure you look at what the post number is because different people on here have their settings different and the link may not go to the actual page).

As for Chankanaab, there is a small, calm cove area for small children and families. The huge beach and snorkeling area is kind of a walk down the steps into the water deal. But it just depends on your child. My daughter started snorkeling at Chankanaab back when she was 3 years old (life jacket is required there in the water no matter if you can swim or not) and loved it. She could not swim at the time. She can now swim, but she will still put on a life jacket when snorkeling there no matter what. There are 2 reviews in my signature line for Chankanaab. Feel free to look around and ask questions if you need. :)

Thanks for that link Bill, that is a huge savings compared to going through Playa Mia's website (which connects you to your cruise line).

And Mitsugirly, loved your pictures and review (I'm a nursing student too -- May '14 can't get here soon enough for a big ole graduation celebration). I have been to Chankanaab several times, but only with my husband and really only remember it being rough to get in and out of the water on those steps. We always spent our entire time there snorkeling, so I didn't even know there were other swimming options!

Thanks again, I think we'll stick with Chankanaab (DH and DS can snorkel, DD and I can play in calm water) It's a win/win!

Thanks for that link Bill, that is a huge savings compared to going through Playa Mia's website (which connects you to your cruise line).

And Mitsugirly, loved your pictures and review (I'm a nursing student too -- May '14 can't get here soon enough for a big ole graduation celebration). I have been to Chankanaab several times, but only with my husband and really only remember it being rough to get in and out of the water on those steps. We always spent our entire time there snorkeling, so I didn't even know there were other swimming options!

Thanks again, I think we'll stick with Chankanaab (DH and DS can snorkel, DD and I can play in calm water) It's a win/win!

Well looks like we'll be graduating around the same time (May 10th here). :D Have you figured out your "celebration cruise" yet? :p

Taking a taxi at the pier was very easy, I think they have a representative that does some kind of dispatch. Make sure to look at the price list they have there...our driver could not "remember" well how much to charge us ;). Also, they don't seem to have change for some strange reason, we always take small bills with us.

• 3 weeks later...

Playa Mia was a lot of fun. They grew quite a bit and now offer a huge water park in the ocean and also slides and floats as part of their new fresh water pools. We had a great time and this is definitely a place to go for families (besides Mr. Sanchos).

just got back from Playa Mia - here is what I can offer.

the place is extremely clean, pool area for kids, the larger poolnear the kids area, water slides were very clean.

swimming in the pools around the kids area, the life guards where always telling you dont do this, dont do that.. seemed to be a lot of donts. they do not allow you to wait in the poolfor your kids to come down the wterslide, they do not allow you to sit on the steps..... they seemed to be very strict about really small things.... would have been much more enjoyable if they left you alone. we are afterall talking about kids playing in the kids area.

the food was good, I only purchased the pass without the buffett... when we went to order food, the waiter gave us the option to purchase the buffett at $16.00 per adult with the kids free - so that saved us $18.00....

the food was good, it was buffett food but it was good, they offer four juices at the buffet of OJ, grape, fruit punch and iced tea.

the beach was clean, the sand was gritty, not much to see in the water so I assume you need to go further out if you wanted to snorkel. the inflatable water park - which is inculded in the fee, was a good distance out to swim out to, everyone has to wear a vest, which they provide.

you could see, the other resorts from the beach as they are all along the same few mile stretch, the water parks at all the resorts seemed to be the same distance out. my understanding is that Playa Mia is the only park that you have to pay to neter, all the other parks are free to enter but you have to pay as you go. Playa Mia did include alot to do for the low entry fee. the other places did not seem to have as much activity on the water park as Playa Mia.

they walked around with Parrots, Iguanas, Mexican hats and anything else they could for you to take a picture of you with so that they could then push you to buy.

did not find the staff to be to friendly.

its curretly their off season but I could imagine how crowded this place gets during the busy season.

my kids are 4 & 5 so the waterpark was good for a little while, they really enjoyed the kids pool area and water slides.. which again was very very clean.

also they do not suppl;y towels so bring your own, and they do rent out lockers for six dollars plus a six dollar refundable deposit....

Archived