LHR->Harwich->Dublin transfers

DaveT65

scottbee,

I wish Southend would work as I can see how close [relatively] it is to Harwich. The problem is there are only 2 flights per day to Dublin - 09:15 and 15:10. Based on what I have read here, I don't think I can make the morning flight [can't self-disembark], and the afternoon flight as alternative or backup is later than the LHR [or LGW] flights I could make.

I will keep watch on schedules before committing, though. Including LCY, which doesn't have complete schedules from AF commuter posted yet.

Thanks for you interest.

• 4 months later...

I'm hoping that some of those who took the time and interest to respond earlier are still lurking here.

It is time to make decisions, and I'd appreciate any comments. I have waited for airline schedules to be posted for July 2014 and here is what I see:

[July 14, 2014 - attempting to get to Dublin as early as possible]

AerLingus has a 9:20 am flight out of Southend, but I'm afraid that is too early to attempt. Too bad!!

After that, other than LGW or LHR, Flybe has a 13:20 out of Eastleigh - too bad my port is Harwich!!

Ryanair has 13:40, then 17:10 out of Stansted, but I have been discouraged from using Ryanair here on this board, and I tend to agree with the actual and potential problems with them.

Air France has 13:45, then 15:15 out of LCY, but they are VERY expensive.

AerLingus [Aer Arann] has 15:20, then 17:10 out of Southend, but I can make earlier flights out of LHR with lots of backup options.

LGW doesn't have options that I consider more attractive overall than LHR.

LHR has AerLingus or BA flights at 11:05, 13:25 [both], 14:05, 14:15, 15:50, 16:50 etc.

So my assessment is that going to LHR, even though on a Monday morning, is the best of bad choices. Based on earlier comments, I think I should make a 13:25 by disembarking early and having a private car service take us to LHR. Or possibly taking the cruise line transfer? I think I feel safer with the car service and it is competitive to the Celebrity transfer [for 2] cost.

Looking at the transfer TO Harwich, recall that we arrive LHR at about 22:00 on July 3, so will be staying at an airport hotel and then taking either a car service or, in this case, the Harwich Cruise Bus [HCB], which picks up at various hotels. I assume the cruise line transfer would leave from LHR Arrivals and I don't want to go back there. HCB is cheaper, too, than either Celebrity or car service. It seems like a good choice for this direction. I looked at HCB for the return to LHR, but it apparently goes through downtown London and London Bridge, not arriving LHR until 12:30-13:00. I don't care for that.

So, sorry for the length of the post, but I have been doing my homework and want to explain what I found.

I will post separately, but am also looking for a recommendation for that overnight only stay [no amenities required, just clean and convenient - we'll be tired] at a LHR Hotel after the late evening arrival [we'll be arriving in the new Terminal 2 with United] and early morning departure for the port. Harwich Cruise Bus picks up at many, though not all, LHR area hotels.

Many, many thanks.

Edited by DaveT65

While Ryanair have a bar reputation i don't think they are as bad as people make out especially for a quick trip across to Dublin. Most of the complaints were about there strict enforcment of policies such as hand luggage however it seems of late they have tried to become more customer friendly. Its not an amzazing airline but for a cheap flight for only about an hour its great.

As someone who lives quite close i would really reccomend looking at Stansted. While you still have to go the A120(E), A12 and then A120(W) route when drivning its unlikely to have too many problems. If you go to LGW you have the issues further south on the A12 and then the M25, If you go to Southend you have the south A12 again but also the A127 which can be a nasty road and if you really do go for LHR you have a horrible journey down the A12 and right around the M25.

When flying from Dublin to London I normally travel with Ryanair to Stansted. In fact, I am making this journey next Thursday. To date, I have never had a problem. I know what Ryanair's regulations are and I abide by them. I only take hand luggage and Ryanair normally are the cheapest option. It helps that I am entitled to a privilege rate on the Stansted Express.

Make a dummy booking on the Ryanair website, add your hold luggage and see what the price is compared to other airlines. Good luck whichever flight you take and enjoy your stay in Dublin.

Dermot

I did take the suggestion and reconsider RyanAir and made a trial booking and studied the fees. RyanAir from Stansted to Dublin would cost about 72 British Pounds while AerLingus from LHR would cost about 98 BP, baggage fees incl and advance seat/checkin incl for RyanAir. [While I likely could print my boarding passes to RyanAir on board the cruise ship, I went for the safer option of printing at home early since the penalty for not having a boarding pass ahead of time is severe.]

Cost, together with the easier, and likely less expensive, travel from Harwich to Stansted do cause me to think about it again. From what I have read here, making a 13:40 out of Stansted would be very easy. And there is one backup flight at 17:10. I think I would be even more tempted if the RyanAir were earlier, letting me get to Dublin around shortly after Noon, which was my original goal. Again, from what I read here, I can get to LHR, even on a Monday, pretty safely for a 13:25 flight out of LHR and have lots of backups. While a difference of 26 x 2 BP is nothing to "sneeze at" [uSA expression!!], it is a very small amount compared to what the trip is costing. How accommodating is RyanAir if flight problems do arise? Would we get to Dublin same day, even if it meant going to LHR after all?

And regarding the LCY flight possibilities, I just don't think we could manage public transport to LCY, considering age and luggage. If we do end up going to LHR, I would love to take transit as it sounds much safer than car/bus, but can't see us doing that.

Many thanks to all who have taken the time and effort to comment.

Edited by DaveT65
Corrected error & added question

• 2 weeks later...

Riise, Mairnealach,

I am 95% ready to book on Ryanair out of Stansted. I think it is the right thing for my wife and me for this trip from Harwich to Dublin. I have studied Ryanair's Terms and Conditions and can accept them. Thank you for encouraging me to pursue Ryanair, as it saves money and greatly simplifies transfers upon disembarkation.

My last hangup is some questions about booking and checking in online with Ryanair from the USA with US Passports. From what I read, 5 years ago that was a nuisance at best, a problem at worst. As I read Ryanair's current procedures:

I can book directly on their web site and pay with a US credit or debit card.

I can print my boarding pass online, subject to the time requirements that depend on my seating selections. [i would choose allocated seating in order to permit me to print my boarding passes [using A4 paper :D ] before leaving home some 11 days before the flight.]

I can check in by stopping at the Ryanair Visa/Document Check Desk:

Ryanair T&C 6.3 All non-EU/EEA citizens must have their travel documents checked and Boarding Pass stamped at our Visa/Document Check Desk before going through airport security.

Do you have any comments or guidance regarding this?

Many thanks.

The only thing I'd say Dave (and I'm sure you know this) is to let your Credit card know that you are 'buying' something outside the US. We have lots of problems with people trying to buy train/bus tickets with a US card and not being able to, simply because the US Credit Card companies seem to assume you would only buy stuff in the US! Hope everything works out.

Simon