Looking for suggestions

willnrenee07

My wife and I will be going to San Juan on the Liberty in November and have not had much luck finding anything that interests us in San Juan. My wife has some mobility issues with previous knee and back surgeries so anything with a lot of walking or a lot stairs is not a good idea. How is the walking at the forts? Are they very strenuous? We are looking for any other ideas as well. Any suggestions will be welcome. Thanks!

On our last trip, my husband and I just walked around Old San Juan, looked in the shops, snacked, and had dinner at a place within a couple of blocks. It was a nice few hours, and nothing too strenuous. OSJ is a very nice area. :)

There is a lot of walking in San Juan. The streets are old and cobblestone.

As mentioned, the forts involve uneven surfaces, stairs and steep ramps.

The free open trolley makes a full loop past the forts, and you should ride it to at least see the lovely city and perhaps get out to see the forts and the views. You may decide to get off and enjoy some of the pretty plazas and fountains.The stroll along the ocean and city walks is absolutely liovely, and not too challenging.

I would say that walking to the forts would be a strenuous walk. It is uphill and you cross many streets and the sidewalks are narrow. If you don't If you go off to the left from the port there is a plaza with a fountain, and it leads to the sidewalk along the old city wall. That is a long but very pleasant walk. I think there were a few benches along the way to sit and rest. For sure there are some large rocks, boulders, that you can sit on and rest. It is really a pretty walk and its all level. The free trolleys are hard to get on, there are very few of them and they stay pretty full, but you might get lucky. You can also take a taxi to the forts and then walk back, it's all downhill.

The trolleys are also a bone-shaking experience. They are driving over cobblestones, and don't seem to have much shock absorption. Maybe not the thing for a sensitive back. You can easily get a taxi to take you to the big fort, El Morro, and the cost wouldn't be a lot.

El Morro is vast, but you don't need to look at all of it, on all its levels, to enjoy it. The entrance fee is very reasonable, so just look at the parts that are easy for you to explore, and enjoy the panoramic views. Even sitting on a bench in front is enjoyable, watching kids play and people fly kites on the huge lawn. We also loved the walk below the walls described by seashine above- turn left as you leave the ship and keep going till you reach the water. Very good smooth path, with lots to look at as you stroll along.

But even if you just got off the ship, and strolled along a bit without heading uphill, then found a cafe and had a drink or a snack, it would be a good outing. OSJ is beautiful. Everywhere you look is something to admire and enjoy. Sit down and just watch life go on. Imagine what it was like 400 years ago, when people were first settling there. You could do worse.

Archived