Budapest to Prague

skatergirl38

My husband & I are taking the day train back after our trip in a few weeks. Long journey (5-6 hrs) but inexpensive ( about $51.00 for 2 passengers). Train leaves the main station in Budapest and goes into the main station in Prague. We are taking the 11:25 am train. Air prices were crazy expensive ($500-$600 ea.)

through the website.

http://elvira.mav-start.hu/elvira.dll/xslvzs/index?language=2

Make the language "english" (right corner)

put in from: budapest (city)

to: prague (praha)

then enter your travel date. The next page will show you a timetable.

Once you purchase the tickets you get a receipt and a printable form with a bar code via email. Once in Budapest you exchange it for your actual tickets either at the window in the main station or at a ticket kiosk.

I will warn you that it seems confusing at first but if you take your time it becomes easier.

I believe you can purchase up to 3 months in advance.

I have also heard that you can just purchase tickets on the day you want to travel but I'm not a "fly by the seat of your pants" traveler. I make a plan and stick to it. But that's just our style. Purchasing a day or 2 out you may pay a little more.

Let me know if you need any help!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
My husband & I are taking the day train back after our trip in a few weeks. Long journey (5-6 hrs) but inexpensive ( about $51.00 for 2 passengers). Train leaves the main station in Budapest and goes into the main station in Prague. We are taking the 11:25 am train. Air prices were crazy expensive ($500-$600 ea.)

Agree. In summer 2014 we will also be traveling from Budapest to Prague post cruise. Airfare is unreasonable. European trains are great! Express train (almost 7 hours) first class reserved seats quoted as 166 Euro for both of us. Take the train from downtown to downtown - faster than flying.

Archived