Best 2 way radio for cruisin

First off this is a great board. I've cruised 4 times and I'm still picking so much useful info. Thanks to all. We are cruising Sept. 11- 18th on Mariner and have 6 people in our party. This is the first time we will be w/ a larger group of people on a cruise and I was wondering what the best 2 way radio is to use. I'm not a big fan of them on ships (too much like cellphones) but with children and groups doing different things thought they may be handy. Any info appreciated.

Cruisin Ben

Guest OBAYbee

I rent the "cellphone/2 way radios from RCCL on all the Voyager class ships. You can't beat them. No interference either. Looks like a cell phone. Everyone has their own assigned phone number and you are also issued a battery back and charger.

I rent the "cellphone/2 way radios from RCCL on all the Voyager class ships. You can't beat them. No interference either. Looks like a cell phone. Everyone has their own assigned phone number and you are also issued a battery back and charger.

First I've heard of these. What is the cost to rent them? Are they usable only onboard the ship, or can you use it on an excursion? It would save us space in the luggage for our Motorola walkie-talkies.

Thanks in advance.

We just got back from the Mariner and tried to use our Motorola W-T's that we had used in the past and did not have very good results compared to previous cruises. They are pretty good units and we were surprised that they did not seem to work as well.

I had heard about the rental units on these boards, but did not see anything about them while on board. How do you rent these & what is the cost? We would like to try them next time around.

We used Motorolla units (they are ancient by today's standards) and they worked awesome. We were able to communicate and find each other much easier with them. No problems what-so-ever. We used them on three cruises.

I also would like to know where you rent them and the cost? Do tell! I was going to bring my own 2 ways on our first cruise but if rentals are available that would be great!

Guest OBAYbee

RCCL doesn't advertise them, probably because they don't have very many on the ship.

Go to the purser's desk when you board and tell them you wish to rent 2.

I believe the cost was $20.00 for the week. We got two so we could be mobile using ours too. If not you have to use one of the ship phones to reach your party.

The price includes battery pack and charger. Money well spent IMO. The ring wasn't obnoxious, the phone looked just like a cell phone and we always were able to reach our teens anytime we wanted to.

We never tried to use them in port so I don't know if they in fact work on land or not.

Thanks for the info. I will have 2 "tweens" with me and this will be a great way to keep track of them in they are @ the kids programs and we are somewhere else. I'm glad they are not loud. I have 2 ways but really wanted a beeper "just in case". This is a great alternative!!

Archived