waterproof boots for a young adult??

lindseesmom

I assume you are referring to rubber boots or you looking more along the lines of a hunting/hiking type boot?

The locals wear brown XTRATUFs. They are not stylish, but they will help you blend in with the locals. Lots of people (seems to be more younger people) wear them as everyday shoes with the tops folded down.

I bought my wife and kids rubber boots for fishing when I took them to Juneau and as we really don't have a use for them in the Midwest, I just bought them what was on sale at the local farm supply store :)

How old is the young adult and what is she looking to use them for?

We do have the waterproof spray. Did this work for you? Did you have much rain on your cruise??

We did a cruise tour (Yukon, Denali, and cruise). It rained about 1/3-1/2 of the time. And in Denali, it was a slushy rain (almost snow).

The waterproof spray worked fine.

Onboard the ship, the rain isn't really a problem, as you can go inside for the most part.

I don't haul waterproof boots to Alaska. I have water resistant walking shoes and they work just fine. I don't go fishing. I do a lot of walking.

I have to agree with this. If you were planning on a lot of beach combing or were heading out on small boats (not the larger boats many charters use) then I would say it might be worth getting some rubber boots. I bought them for the kids, but they were looking or seashells and running out in the lake at the glacier collecting small pieces of ice along the shore (or icebergs in their mind).

For walking around, I think it would be a bit overkill. If she is looking or a pair of boots or some reason and wants an excuse to buy some, then buy all means :)

Personally, I don't wear boots unless I know I am going to get wet from standing water. I wear my regular street shoes when it rains out and I don't have an issue. I don't even bother to waterproof them.

What I tend to do is double up on the socks if anything. I usually pack 1.5 to 2 pairs of socks per day (depending on the weather forecast for when I am there). When my socks get damp, I change into a new pair. If my socks stay relatively dry, I don't notice my shoes being a bit damp, but that is just me.

Archived