Help with process of bringing alcohol onboard

I plan on buying a gift of alcohol for someone when in Venice before my cruise starts.

I have no intention of drinking this myself, I want to take it home.

What is the process of declaring I have a bottle with me when boarding? Who do I give it to? Is it similar to duty free at the airport where they take it away, label it and give it back at some stage?

If that is the case, do I have to remember to go and get it or would they leave it in our room on the last night?

I can imagine myself forgetting it and going home minus a gift! :eek:

Any help is always appreciated.

Is it possible to get the alcohol at some port you are visiting during the cruise? The reason I ask is that the rules say that they can confiscate alcohol brought on at initial embarkation, whereas they will hold the alcohol if brought on after the start of the cruise.

Is it possible to get the alcohol at some port you are visiting during the cruise? The reason I ask is that the rules say that they can confiscate alcohol brought on at initial embarkation, whereas they will hold the alcohol if brought on after the start of the cruise.

Oh dear, confiscate as in not give back?

Might have to rethink my plan.....

Oh dear, confiscate as in not give back?

Might have to rethink my plan.....

Yes, from the cruiseline's point of view, you are breaking the rules by bringing on alcohol at initial embarkation. However, bringing it on at intermediate ports is allowed, though they will take it from you as you board and give it back at the end of the cruise.

I plan on buying a gift of alcohol for someone when in Venice before my cruise starts.

I have no intention of drinking this myself, I want to take it home.

What is the process of declaring I have a bottle with me when boarding? Who do I give it to? Is it similar to duty free at the airport where they take it away, label it and give it back at some stage?

If that is the case, do I have to remember to go and get it or would they leave it in our room on the last night?

I can imagine myself forgetting it and going home minus a gift! :eek:

Any help is always appreciated.

Maybe you could purchase it onboard, the prices are good.

I would email Guest Relations (or whatever it's called) and ask. I'm sure there is a process and your aren't the first one to want to do it. If you are honest about it, I'm sure there is someone out there that can help you figure out how to make it happen. Good Luck.

Unless it's something you can only get in Venice, I think it's best to buy it onboard or on one of your port stops. They are prepared to take such purchases and hold them for you, when you're reboarding at a port of call, but not at initial embarkation. So, you may or may not get it back, if you buy it in Venice.

They will take it and hold it until you depart.... I never have done this on embarkation thou

CC

The problem with embarkation is that the security people are usually not ship's personnel. I'm not sure they have a means to forward a confiscated bottle to the ship for later delivery to the guest.

Archived