transportation from Vancouver to YVR

JosieRhodes

Debating which is better as would like to maximize time sightseeing/relaxing in downtown Vancouver with my parents who probably will stay downtown as they do not fly out with us. We get off the Radiance on a Friday, and then have a 6:30am flight to Chicago on Saturday on way to east coast.

I am wondering whether anyone has stayed downtown and had a taxi/limo pick up around 4am, or what time to recommend? Would you reserve in advance... There will be four of us - two adults/two kids. Going to try to pack light.

Wondering how much of a hassle to do this vs.

taking the SkyTrain or taxi, etc at some point on Friday to a hotel near airport which has a complimentary shuttle...

Thanks for any input in advance.

Either will work. Last couple years, I've not stayed downtown, and instead gotten cheap off airport lodging. I have no issue with using the skytrain or buses. Cabs are plentiful, have used them too. Maybe look further and compare costs if of interest? Include the various transfer costs, and if you do stay by the airport, the cost of bag storage for the day, at Canada Place and the possibility of the hotel not starting shuttle service until 6am and needing a cab to the airport.

Last month we stayed in one of the Marriotts downtown post-cruise. We had an 8:30am flight and were concerned about the same issue. The bell desk said to call down before leaving the room and they'd be sure to have a cab there within 5 minutes. We didn't call down, but there were two or three cabs waiting there at 5:30am or so. It was a pretty quick trip to YVR at that time of day. I doubt you'd have much trouble if this is the route (no pun intended) that you choose.

If your parents do stay on downtown, you can stash your bags in their room for the day which makes the cheap hotel at the airport even more convenient. Skytrain to YVR is fine even with big bags - the Canada Line trains were designed with luggage in mind - and if you're heading out there after a downtown dinner it should be nice & quiet, avoiding commuter peak times. As BQ mentioned, check what time the earliest shuttle from the hotel runs - or factor in the price of a cab (probably <$15 from most of the close-to-the-airport Richmond hotels which tend to be under 10mins driving time).

NB: you probably shouldn't consider Skytrain the morning of your flight if you decide to stay downtown, the earliest trains are too late for a 6:30am US-bound flight (first train is 4:48am getting you to YVR c. 5:15am, very tight for check-in/security/immigration). I would take a cab for 4am.

Thanks for all the info. Regarding Marriott, debating whether to use points to book in Vancouver or maybe Anchorage for a day or two as we have about seven days per cruise to travel around AK, but haven't quite finalized the DIY land part yet. Due to using United saver awards, ended up with a long day of flying to/from Upstate NY starting very early in the morning, but worth it to avoid buying 4 tickets. If not the Marriott, it seemed that the Hampton Inn is within walking distance of a SkyTrain station, with 24 hr shuttle to airport (or so I've read:)

Karen

Thanks for all the info. Regarding Marriott, debating whether to use points to book in Vancouver or maybe Anchorage for a day or two as we have about seven days per cruise to travel around AK, but haven't quite finalized the DIY land part yet. Due to using United saver awards, ended up with a long day of flying to/from Upstate NY starting very early in the morning, but worth it to avoid buying 4 tickets. If not the Marriott, it seemed that the Hampton Inn is within walking distance of a SkyTrain station, with 24 hr shuttle to airport (or so I've read:)

Karen

The airport Hampton does indeed have a shuttle to/from the airport, and it's less than 10 mins walk to Bridgeport Skytrain.

Archived