Just returned from Legend of the Seas, June 18th to July 2nd.

We just got back from this 14 night Mediteranean Cruise. We had a total of 7 people from Ohio in our group: a married couple in mid 60s (my folks), a married couple in mid 40s (my wife and I), our 18 year old daugter, our 16 year old niece and my brother, age 29. A great time was had by all.

Interestingly enough, almost 1,800 of the passengers on this cruise were from Great Britain. There were 88 of us from the USA. Passengers came from many other countries as well but still the largest segment of the passenger population was from Great Britain. This is likely due to the ship leaving from Southhampton.

The cruise was great but there were a couple of distractions, neither of which could be controlled by Royal Caribbean. First, the ship passes throught the Bay of Biscay after it passes through the English Channel and the Celtic Sea. The Bay can certainly rock when the weather is up so you might want to make sure everyone takes Bonine or something similar for that 12 hour period. On the way to the Med, it was just windy and a little cool in the Bay. On the way back it was rocking with side swells. Once we made it through the Bay it calmed down immediately in the Atlantic and when we made it to the Med, the seas were flat with a nice gentle breeze for 10 days.

The second distraction occurred in Barcelona. An ill passenger ( I think the person was elderly and was ill when they came on board) was taken to the hospital in Barcelona with pneumonia. The Spanish authorities required testing of all of the water on the ship (drinking, bathing, pool, every type of water) and it was all fine. They required a super chlorination of the pool and required Barcelona water to be placed in the ships hold. This started late in the afternoon and it took the Barcelona Port Authority 7 hours to figure out that there was nothing wrong on the ship. All other passengers and crew were fine. The long delay caused us to miss the scheduled stop in Lisbon, Portugal. The cruise line gave everyone a 50 pound credit on their accounts. The Captain was very diplomatic in explaining this situation to the passengers, despite the fact that this was a bureaucratic problem created by the port authority and the length of the delay was unreasonable. He kept his cool and had to make a tough decison that caused us to miss Lisbon.

All of the ports are wonderful. There is a great beach at Praia Da Rocha, Portugal and you must see the cave and apes in Gibraltar. Rome is simply unbelievable. The French Riviera at Villefranche looks like a postcard and you can visit Nice, France and Monte Carlo easily from this port. Ajaccio, Corsica is very beautiful but unless you are a Nalpolean groupy, don't take a tour that includes a tour of his house. There is so much more to see just walking the streets or going to a beautiful beach, etc. Vigo, Spain was a pleasant surprise since we knew very little about it. Lots of shopping areas in old European narrow streets on hills------very pretty.

Our weather was great while we were in the Mediterranean, blue skies, a nice breese and temperatures in the low 80s.

The entertainment was good (the production numbers especially). On the days at sea, it was necessary to get to the pool as early as you could since the weather was so nice (everyone flocked there).

We boarded the ship in about 10 minutes when we arrived. When we departed, we had our color called at 8:15 in the morning and walked directly off of the ship and found all of our luggage in the appropriate area immediately. We were on our bus to Heathrow airport in London shortly thereafter.

Our balcony stateroom was a D1 class (#7612) and we had 4 of us in it and had no problem with space. This was even with two teenage girls, my wife and I. Lots of storage spaces and we were able to stack two very large suitcases in top of each other vertically, between the dressing table and the balcony window. We put the dirty clothes in those suitcases and didn't even have to move them throughout the entire cruise. The other luggage we stowed under the main bed and in the closet.

I've said enough already but I'm happy to answer questions. It is a great cruise and the crew, officers and cruise director (and his staff) were all very helpful and cheerful.

Hi there

I was on the cruise as well, have posted a review earlier.

I was wondering how the American guests were getting on with the mainly British guests. Although I live in the UK I am Australian, I think there was a few of us there, especially the staff.

I normally get sea sick and took tablets for most of the cruise, I found them wonderful. I love the feeling of the ship rocking but not the sickness.

I have booked again for next year.

Hi Callo,

We had a wonderful time with the British guests. We had a lot of questions from the British guests about where we live, our cultural differences, etc. Everyone was very pleasant. We actually met many of the U.S. guests also and I think they had the same type of experience with the Brits. I would like another cruise in the Mediteranean next year, possibly including the Greek islands as well.

My wife can get motion sick very easily and it happened on the way back up to Southampton through the Bay of Biscay. Once we made it through that area she was fine. I was amazed at how flat the sea was in the Med. Glad you also enjoyed your cruise.

I think it is interesting that before the cruise and now after the cruise, there has been very little posted on this site about this ship on this itinerary. I think there are few Brits using this site and that cruise was largely marketed in Great Britain. In the United States there was no mention of it in the brochures. We found the cruise on the Royal Caribbean Web site.

Thanks for the great feedback on the Legend Cruise, we are leaving on the 16th and are so looking forward to it, I am originally from USA, hubby Brit so we can keep both quotas up

Again many thanks for the info

A & A

Hello - it was interesting reading your review of the ship. It will feel a little strange for us travelling on a mainly American ship having done P&O (Princess Cruises) for the last few years.

We dont know how it will compare to what we have been used to but as there are more ports than a normal UK cruise (8 compaired to 6 on a standard 14 day med cruise) we wont see that much of the ship.

One thing that we really enjoy as part of our holiday is the interraction between us and the staff members, be it cabin or table stewards - how do you find this - do you find that they are there simply to provide a service or more to have " a laugh with?"

The ports I would agree with you - although we have never been to Rome - we were thinking about doing it alone and taking the train direct from the port. Agree on Elba especially if you are a photographer.

I wonder what you thought about the range of food - particularly as you will be used to a certain quality and how this compaired to your other cruises / holidays?

thanks for the posting -!

We found the crew to be very engaging. They provided great service but always spoke and in many cases, started conversations as well. The cruise director staff is also very helpful.

We have been on this line, Princess, Norwegian and Carnival and we had excellent food. There was a nice variety at each evening meal along with several dishes that are available every night in case you don't find something on the changing menu that you like (steaks, pasta, fish, etc).

I would be careful of taking a train to Rome. When we visited, the trains went on strike and while that is unlikely in the immediate future, we came to learn that the trains aren't all that reliable which can be bad if they cause you to miss the ship late in the day. You need a guide in Rome to do it justice. We only did a couple of shore excusions booked with the cruiseline but Rome was one of them. We did the Classic Rome with lunch. It included transportation from the port to Rome and back to the port, the Trevi Fountain, the Forum, the Colisium, a nice lunch with 3 courses and wine and the Vatican. I think it was $108 (U.S) per person and was worth all of it. Our Roman guide was outstanding.

We also did an excursion in Gibralter that took us to St. Michael's cave at the top of the Rock and we saw the Barbary apes (a bunch of them). It too was worth it and it was inexpensive.

We used the tourist buses in Barcelona at about 17 euros a person and that is a great deal. We took trains in Villefranche to Nice and Monte Carlo and back to Villefranche and had a wonderful day (really inexpensive). Corsica is beautiful and don't take a tour that includes a tour of Napolean's home (very boring and takes too long). The island has too much more to see. Hope this helps!

thank you - that was very useful. We may be taking your advice re Rome with Lunch because we have two HUNGRY children that wont really appreciate buildings that look half finished and wrecked without some treat!

We are due to sail on 30th of this month - only a few weeks to go - and apprehensive about it none the less.

Having gone for the JS option we are hoping it wont be too much of a change.

:)

We sailed Legend of the Seas in March. The solarium was wonderful--especially if you want to get out of the sun and enjoy some airconditioning. The entertainment was great as well. Our ports of call in Hawaii were fantastic too. However, I was very disappointed with the food on Legend of the Seas.

We are looking forward to sailing Jewel of the Seas in October because it has two alternative restaurants in addition to the dining room and buffet. Unfortunately, we were seated in a two story dining room near the stairway to the dining room below on Legend and felt it was very noisey due to the large size of the dining room. It felt like a banquet hall to me. I guess I just like more intimate quiet settings. That is why I am a fan of freestyle dining. On our last NCL cruise, we had ten different restaurants to eat at each day. I could choose from Japanese, Italian, French, Mexican, Venetian Dining Room, American Restaurants, a Steak House, etc. and not be stuck in one noisey dining room day after day eating at the same time with the same waiter and same table guests. I could eat at a table for 2 or a table for 8 each evening and choose to eat when I was hungry.

Thank goodness RCCL is adding alternative dining to their newer ships. That's all I will sail on Royal Caribbean in the future. Not a fan of one dining room and one buffet. Hope you enjoy your cruise in spite of my review. We did enjoy everything else other than the food. We really appreciated our cabin steward. He was the best ever.

Mary

Plymouth, MA

Hello - it was interesting reading your review of the ship. It will feel a little strange for us travelling on a mainly American ship having done P&O (Princess Cruises) for the last few years.

We dont know how it will compare to what we have been used to but as there are more ports than a normal UK cruise (8 compaired to 6 on a standard 14 day med cruise) we wont see that much of the ship.

One thing that we really enjoy as part of our holiday is the interraction between us and the staff members, be it cabin or table stewards - how do you find this - do you find that they are there simply to provide a service or more to have " a laugh with?"

The ports I would agree with you - although we have never been to Rome - we were thinking about doing it alone and taking the train direct from the port. Agree on Elba especially if you are a photographer.

I wonder what you thought about the range of food - particularly as you will be used to a certain quality and how this compaired to your other cruises / holidays?

thanks for the posting -!

My docs say the LOS tenders into Cannes is this correct.

Hi there,

We tendered into Villefranche, down the coast from Cannes. It looked like a postcard. I understand the ship has tendered into Cannes on occasions where the seas would be calmer there. When we arrived at Villefranche it was flat as a pond. On the way out (maybe an hour or two out), we had a whale jump completely out of the water several times. It was unbelievable.

My husband and I are sailing on The Legend of the Seas from Southampton on July 30th to the Meditterranean and have really enjoyed your summary of the cruise. It sounded wonderful ,except for the rocky " Bay of biscay". I have been a good sailor in the past, but that was many years ago ,so hope my sea legs return. I am from Miami, Florida but have been living in England with my British husband for 24 years. Pleased to hear that the British and Americans were united on this cruise and that all had a good time. Happy Sailing!

I think if you prepare for the Bay of Biscay, you will have no problems. On the way south from Southampton, those in my party who might be prone to being sea sick, took Bonine and had no problems. On the way north, we had been spoiled for 10 days of perfect seas in the Med so no Bonine was taken until it was too late. When in doubt, take the precautions. We have been on 6 cruises and this was the only day in six cruises my wife has gotten sick. She has said she simply should have taken Bonine from the time we left Barcelona heading back towards the Atlantic. I think you will find this trip very enjoyable!!! Have a great cruise.

Hello again, Thanks for replying. I will be sure to take your advice and be prepared with plenty of Bonine. Just read again all your messages above, really makes me feel like I am there already. . I know we will have a wonderful time. We Will tell you all about it on our return. You are right in thinking that little is said about the Legend in the USA. Apparently,it is a bit small and 10 years old. In the states, we are led to believe ,they prefer the new/nearly new very large ships and therefore felt the Legend would be more suitable for the British market. This year Britain has seen a BIG Surge towards cruising. I wasn't aware there were all the choices and it's being promoted for its' Value For Money!! The strong pound the cruise companies hope will earn them more money by summering here. It also helps US passengers save money seeing Europe. By paying for the cruise in dollars at home, they see many places in Europe without having to pay high european prices for hotels, food etc.at un favorable exchange rates. Everything's included.That's the theory we've heard. Regards, Carol in Derby, UK

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again. Lost a couple days,been looking after my beautiful grandaughter and answering some very kind E-Mails people have sent me from the last cruise telling me about what's happening onboard..We go to Southampton the day before.. Gosh! that's one week tomorrow...and I've done nothing yet to prepare..I have a scary feeling if I don't get busy I'll be sitting here chatting as the ship sails. Just never thought it would really happen...the day would come. Our car has been in the garage for a major repair for 2 weeks, and is still awaiting a part. This is the same car we have to travel down to Southampton in so hope it's sorted soon!! Panic is setting in....Carol

Archived