Copenhagen

Copenhagen

Tourist Maps and information are available at the terminal. I think this was another city where Princess would provide a shuttle to the main part of town, but it's really not necessary. If you walk along the water you will quickly see The Little Mermaid statue. Follow the map and Amalienberg Castle is not much further. As the queen was home that day, there were no tours. We walked along and soon hit Nyhavn. It’s a very charming, colorful section along a canal. We looked for a place for lunch, but all the restaurants were a bit pricey and specialized in herring.

We walked a bit further and soon found the Stoyget, the famous shopping street. However, it was a bit of a bust as it was Sunday and everything was closed. At the end of the Stroyget is the Town Hall and Tivoli. There’s also a large statue of Hans Christian Anderson looking across the street at Tivoli. As we’re fans of beautifully laid out parks and gardens we decided to go to Tivoli. However, Tivoli is not much more than a small amusement park and unless you plan on going on rides (not included in the admission price) the $15 they charge you just to enter is not worth it. It was cute but as we weren't interested in rides, kind of a waste of money.

Internet Alert: Right across the street from the entrance to Tivoli is Boomtown where you can go online for one Euro for an hour. Much better rate than the ship. And much faster.

We walked back to Nyhavn and took a canal cruise. Cash only, no credit cards. It wasn’t terribly expensive... Only around $10 per person and well worth it.

If I had it to do over again, I believe I would have taken the train to one of the nearby castles, but only because it was Sunday and everything was closed.

Thank you for the wonderful information. Did you need cash for anything else besides the boatride? Did you get local currency on the ship?

We arrive in the evening and I thought that Tivoli would be better at night. Hope so!

We only used cash for the boat ride and credit cards for everything else... (Dinner, Tivoli...)

I hear Tivoli is lovely at night... It just was a bit of a disappointment for us.

Thank you so much for the guided tour info...very helpful!

Funny, but I was in Tivoli as a child and remember then my parents saying it's just a small amusement park...guess nothing has changed in ____ years! :p

Archived