Cellphone!

msstarr22

I talked to an international rep at my cell service provider and was asked if I want to buy international service for the time I am on the cruise. My question is I have it on my phone, but DH who will not be traveling will not,
can he call my phone without a charge? I suppose I can call back and ask but thought people here might know. Provider is AT&T. I was just planning to remove the sim card and storing it in a box in the safe. Just using the phone for pictures and cruiseline internet which he said will work as well.

Any ideas or suggestions?:confused:

Why would your husband need an international plan if he's not traveling with you? If he did, that would also mean anyone else that might call you would be charged extra for calling you while you were cruising.

Your best bet is to put your phone in airplane mode if you want to use it for pictures, and you can turn wifi only back on if you purchase an internet plan on board. If you need to talk to hubby, you can call him for $1.99/minute from your cabin.

Ask your cell phone provider about texting - we have Verizon, the international rates for texting is .50 to send and .05 to receive. For us this is a great way to stay in touch with those at home.

As for using your cell to check email - ship internet is painfully sloooooow, even if you use the ships computers.

Have fun on your cruise.

If your husband is not traveling with you and is in the US he can call your cellphone without having to have an international plan. But it really is expense on your end and none of your plan minutes count.

What you might want to research and I'm not very techy so I don't really know is how to prevent your phone from automatically accepting data downloads when you have it off of airplane mode. I've heard that can be wildly expensive.

I'm in the turn my iphone off camp. I use a camera to take pictures and don't make calls home.

Archived