Premium Tours in London - Don't Do it!

After the cruise we stayed for three extra days and decided to take an organized tour to Stonehenge, Bath and Stratford on Avon. (Premium Tours) I would VERY highly suggest you NOT take this tour as it pretty much SUCKED.

We got picked up at the hotel at 7:45 and according to their schedule our last pick-up stop was to be Victoria Station at 8:10. We waited and waited for a few stragglers and didn't leave Victoria until 8:45. Then we were informed that there were two more people to pick up at the Millenium Hotel. That came as a surprise to the people on the bus who were picked up there at 7:30 that morning. They obviously wanted to squeeze two more people on the bus and we sat there and waited another 20 minutes. They finally came on the bus at 9:15 and we were on our way.

Our guide, Clarissa then proceded to tell us that the tour was very tightly scheduled and we'd have to move quickly. By the time we got to Stonehenge, we barely had time to circle it once and then we had to get right back on the bus. They took lunch orders on the bus and then we stopped at the second oldest pub in England. It was cute and all, but there was no were else to go and cost us another $57 for lunch. Then right back on the bus to Bath.

In Bath we had just enough time to see the Roman Baths, but absolutely no time in the town itself and that was the main reason we booked the tour.

Back on the bus and speeding through the Cotswalds. It was lovely countryside, but by this time we were so far behind schedule that the driver was tearing through these little back roads and we were getting nauseous on the bus.

We arrived at Shakespeare birth house at 5:45 and we were promptly told that they closed at 5 and they asked the staff to stay late, but we'd have to hurry. We weren't allowed to go to the museum part at all and were shoved through the house in about 3 minutes. We were all so annoyed at the whole thing. The whole bus was ready to mutiny. We had our little scones with clotted cream and champagne (our special treat exclusive to Premium Tours) and then... back on the bus.

On the way home, we were informed that although they picked you up at the hotel, they wouldn't be dropping you off at the same place. We got dropped off at 8:30 ended up having a 45 minute walk from where they dropped us off. On the way home, we asked Clarissa about a partial refund and she agreed that the day was a mess, but there was no one to complain to... And basically the management didn't care as we were tourists and we'd be gone soon.

The two of us had just spent $224 to spend about 11 hours on the back of a bus. I was pissed at the ridiculous waste of money, but more upset that we wasted an entire day in London. I was also annoyed at the concierge at the hotel who recommended the tour. I asked if it would be better to just train to Bath and he promptly suggested that tour and that company. I specifically asked if the bus would stop in the Cotwalds and he said yes. Obviously he knew nothing and was more interested in a commission...

If I had it to do over again, I would have just taken the train to Bath and spent the day there. There are no direct trains to Stonehenge, but you can take it to a town and then catch a tourist bus from there. Stratford is very cute and definitely worth seeing, but it should never be done in the same day. I have friends who took the Bath and STonehenge only tour and had a much better experience... but whatever you don't take THAT tour.

Sorry you had such a bad time, it sounds pretty disorganised. However, for others who may read this, I would suggest that trying to do Bath, Stratford and the Cotswolds in one day from London (not counting Stonehenge, which is really only a short look-see stop), is too much. Either town/city has enough to furnish a reasonably leisurely, reasonably full and varied day.

When we have visitors staying with us, we would do Stratford and the Cotswolds as a full day, and we live less than an hour away from either.

That was certainly a full schedule.

We went with Astral tours and did Bath, Stonehenge and Laycock (of Harry Potter fame) in a day. We had more than enought time to the three places. Three days later we did Stratford, Warwick and Oxford. Again, no rush. Lunch on our own in Bath and Stratford.

Small Mercedes buses. I'd go with them again, perhaps to Kent if I had more time in London.

Archived