Interesting article on MCO gas prices

ItsAllAboutTheSass

Wow, I thought the Shell station at the entrance to MIA charging around $4.69 was outrageous. But at least they display their prices, so us locals driving by can shake our heads at the foreign tourists returning their rental cars getting one last shafting.

The offending station is still at $5.59 as of today (Saturday), but good to see Wawa stepping in to try & put an end to that nonsense. If only drivers weren't so ignorant to what they are paying (the offending station does not have prices posted on sign, just on the pump), then that station would have went out of business long ago.

For as long as that particular gas station has been gouging motorists with their deceptive tactic; I'm surprised the city or county government has not passed an ordinance requiring gas prices to be posted and clearly visible from the roadway. And if an ordinance such as that already exists it needs to be enforced.

For as long as that particular gas station has been gouging motorists with their deceptive tactic; I'm surprised the city or county government has not passed an ordinance requiring gas prices to be posted and clearly visible from the roadway. And if an ordinance such as that already exists it needs to be enforced.

The mayor of Orlando is more concerned about spending taxpayer/tourists dollars on sports stadiums:

Football:

http://www.wftv.com/news/news/local/mayor-dyer-give-update-thursday-citrus-bowl-renova/nZP4C/

Soccer:

http://baynews9.com/content/news/baynews9/sports/article.html/content/news/articles/bhsn/2013/8/8/orange_county_mayor_.html

Yeah we've had that problem up my way too. It only lasts until the voters tell them NO!

They have passed an ordinance, but legal hijinks by the two rogue stations have had a pronounced stalling effect. That being said, this is now a classic case of free market enterprise (i.e. competition) being the best solution. I filled up at WAWA early this moring and unleaded gas was $3.39/gal.

If you are interested in the history of this fiasco, it's all here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/orlando/624077-mco-gas-station-ripoff.html You may be seeing the final chapter of this sordid mess playing out right now.

The mayor of Orlando is more concerned about spending taxpayer/tourists dollars on sports stadiums:

Taxpayer dollars have never been the solution to this problem. Competition is proving to be the best antidote.

Archived