Planning Dream Cruise

Godiva5

Our family has FINALLY decided to plan a Disney Dream cruise for Dec. 2014. This will be the first time with Disney for any of us and, we need some experienced guidance.

My daughter and I are gathering specific details to share with the rest of the family on cruise date, hotel recommendations, required documents, cabin prices, etc. What we are not sure of is; what's the best way to book our cruise.

Should we direct everyone to call Disney directly, book online at Disney's website or, go through a travel agency. We'd like to get any perks like OBC but, don't know if those really exist for Disney cruises? Once we gather all of our details to share with family and friends, it will be their responsibility to book and pay for their own accomodations.

WE'VE GOT TO STRIKE WHILE THE IRON'S HOT and have all info ready for email and snail mail distribution by the end of next week. Any suggestions you have to help us get off on the right foot would be greatly appreciated. If you can recommend a reputable travel agency or online website, please in-box me. I don't want to get in trouble with the CC powers-that-be :eek:

There are a couple of large on-line travel agencies that deal specifically with Disney products. Google "Disney travel agencies" and they will come up. At least one gives onboard credit based on the amount of your booking. They can also link your reservations together so that (if you want) you can all eat together. The one we used was very good, always on top of things, and a pleasure to work with.

I would suggest that you choose a great travel agency that specializes in DCL but offers full service. Then the main coordinator should contact the agency/agent and lay the ground work, alerting the agent that each family will call separately. Especially with a big group, there may be ways to shuffle the guests in cabins to minimize costs. For instance, a family of 5 may want to book a child in grandma's cabin rather than book a more expensive cabin that will sleep 5! The agent can help with suggestions when she knows more about your group. They should automatically link the group for dining. Whether or not you want to be fully linked is up to you (fully linked can see the other reservations and make on line ressies for excursions, adult dining, etc.)

Allowing each family to contact the agent keeps the finances separate and makes a lot less work for the coordinator!

I would suggest that you choose a great travel agency that specializes in DCL but offers full service. Then the main coordinator should contact the agency/agent and lay the ground work' date=' alerting the agent that each family will call separately. Especially with a big group, there may be ways to shuffle the guests in cabins to minimize costs. For instance, a family of 5 may want to book a child in grandma's cabin rather than book a more expensive cabin that will sleep 5! The agent can help with suggestions when she knows more about your group. They should automatically link the group for dining. Whether or not you want to be fully linked is up to you (fully linked can see the other reservations and make on line ressies for excursions, adult dining, etc.)

Allowing each family to contact the agent keeps the finances separate and makes a lot less work for the coordinator![/quote']

Agree a full service TA who you can contact by phone and know where there address is and where they are based.

Agree a full service TA who you can contact by phone and know where there address is and where they are based.

Correct! While there are some great agencies on line, there are also some that are "interesting" at best. What you want is a real agency with an office and a phone number that employees real professionals who have years of experience in the business....a place that will talk to you on their 800 number before and after booking and gives great service.

What you don't want is an umbrella for a bunch of retired ladies looking to earn a little extra money or a collection of stay at home moms (no slam on any people group intended) who are working from their home computers or smart phones and have no real training or experience.

A real agency spends a lot of money on training, insurance, etc. as well as stuff like office space rental...but what you get are real professionals who know their business. Anyone can be taught to interface with a web site and book exactly what you could do on your own with no conversation or input.

And the disclaimer--I do not and never have worked for any agency nor has any member of my family. I'm just a person who made a mistake of booking thru one of the "from my blackberry" agencies once.

Archived