Visa Debit Card for Shipboard Account

custompcsys

Has anyone had experience with using a Visa debit card to establish their shipboard account credit, preferably on the Diamond? If so, do you know how much of an authorization they put through on it when you first checked in at embarkation? Thanks! :)

Be sure you advise your financial institution. Also cross reference your insitution's daily maximum. This is a critical point so, I would e-mail Princess and request an e-mail reply (then print it and carry with!!!). Re-confirm prior to boarding, then IMMEDIATELY head to the purser's desk and confirm..these are the guys who actually do all the work and their word is LAW...no matter what any of us tell you on a board or info you get from a customer service rep or your TA.

The only problem with using a debit card is that it may tie up your money, for a period following your trip. The cruise line will keep the hold on your account until they are sure that all charges have cleared.

I also had a recent experience, where I bought a dress on the internet. In reviewing my checking account I was surprised to see the charge showing twice so I called the bank. They said the first one was when the business confirmed authorization and the second one was done when the dress actually shipped. Once the actual charge clears, the first "authorization" hold is dropped and that amount goes back to your checking account. If the cruise line does it the same way you could have 2X the amount tying up your account until the actual charges cleared through. If you have your checking account padded a bit, this would not be a problem.

Carol

Fraud protection on credit cards is universal and consistent. I'm not sure that's always the case with debit cards. That's why I prefer credit card use in many situations. Also, if fraud does occur, it's easier to manage a high balance on a credit card while you sort it out, as opposed your money being gone.

In any situation in which you are "running a tab," (hotels, car rentals) it is generally not wise to use a debit card. Unless....you are carrying a reasonably high balance, such that the "memo postings" (holding back as a temporary debit) they process up-front and periodically (to pre-plan for expenses you might incur) will not interfere with the purchases you make while traveling and with any other automated debits from your account.

Generally speaking, you will not know how much they are "memo posting" from your account, so unless you are certain you can cover an unknown amount plus your other withdrawals...use a credit card. The only way to know what that "unknown amount" is going to be in your case is to ask the person you flip your card over to when you arrive at the pier.

As to fraud protection, if your debit card has a VISA or MC logo, you get the protections of those associations when you use your debit card.

As to fraud protection, if your debit card has a VISA or MC logo, you get the protections of those associations when you use your debit card.

You may get protections, but again, they are not the same. Read:

http://credit.about.com/cs/credbasicsfaq/a/080400.htm

(part about fraud on 2nd page)

http://www.bankrate.com/brm/news/bank/20020104a.asp

Also, returns can be problematic:

http://www.bankrate.com/brm/news/cc/20010706a.asp

For the time being, they are different animals.

There have been tales posted here of people that have found themselves in financial difficulties when using debit cards for their onboard accounts. Even though you have money in your account, the holds placed against that account will prevent use of those funds until they clear. My suggestion would be to use a credit card, and carry the cash in the form of travelers' checks to pay off the account at the end of the cruise. You can even use a low-limit card and pay off the account in stages during he cruise if you prefer.

If the cards have the VISA and MC association logos on them, I'm not sure how they would be able to get around providing the protections of those associations. That would be a misrepresentation of their services.

Yes, debit cards function differently than a credit card in that a debit will remove the amount of your purchase from your checking account, and in a dispute you may very well be "out" that money until a dispute is resolved in your favor. But, good customers may also be able to get their issuers to give a "temporary credit" during the dispute period, just like they do for credit card customers -- temporary credits are matters of policy, not law.

Without the logos, though, you're right. All bets are off, except to the extent that the issuer is amenable to protecting you. Most do to be competitive with the association cards, but they're not legally required.

But, if your point is that it's really better to travel with a credit card than a debit card....you're right. I would go even further to say that it's better to travel with a VISA or MC logo credit card.

They said they typically put 300.00 per person on hold, so for our family of four that was 1200.00. We transferred funds from our savings to our checking to ensure a high balance before we left. We just made sure we had plenty in there to shop, etc and for other items that would be coming out at home. We don't use credit cards and pay cash for everything, although we have a credit card for emergency use. This system has always worked for us and we have never had a problem with it or with fraud, etc. We also used our Visa DC for international purchases and have had no problems.

The only thing you NEED to do first is contact your bank with the days you will be out of the country. We have Chase bank and they will decline international purchases if they feel this is out of the ordinary for your and may be fraudulent and by giving them our travel dates, it ensured that we would not encounter problems with this.

They just request travel dates, and all card signers in your family must notify them if you each have different card numbers.

Hope this helps.

June

Thanks for everyone's feedback! Unfortunately, using a regular credit card is not an option for these folks - I didn't ask why so as not to pry into their financial affairs. They decided to bag the debit card idea and will just use travelers checks to pay for their account. Princess said that it can be done, you just have to leave a $300 deposit per person upon embarkation as another poster said, and then check with the Purser's office periodically to make sure the balance is covered.

Now all we have to do is wait 10 days :) Thanks again everyone!

My last cruise I called and put a desposit on my onboard account (from my debit card) over the phone, and had money waiting for me when I got there - it was so easy, and I got a check for the balance I didn't use the last morning of the cruise. That way I never had too many overcharges on my debit card, nor was there any risk of fraud..... easy easy easy.

Archived