How to spend time in CM from 7-2?

cruising mickey

Hello y'all,

Just booked a Carnival Sunshine cruise starting 10/25/14 and doing the W. Caribbean route. The ship is in CM only from 7-2 and I'm wondering how best to utilize the time spent in this port during this timeframe.

Thanks in advance

I would recommend going outside the cruise port, which is safe, and take a $3 taxi to Mahahual. I always go to the Tropicante, which is owned by an American. It is a nice bar/restaurant on the beach.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g499450-d1421462-Reviews-Tropicante_Ameri_Mex_Grill-Mahahual_Costa_Maya_Yucatan_Peninsula.html

http://www.sandalsandskis.com/Tropicante.html

http://www.locogringo.com/mahahual/

To make free reservations for beach loungers, just email Steve Uhl the owner. He can also tell you what time that they open.

• 2 weeks later...

We were there last year and we ended up on the beach at Fernandos.. I think it is called 100 percent agave..He was awesome.. We were walking aong the beach looking for somewhere to chill and everyone was pushing chairs at us for 10$ or AI for $40 etc.. we walked by his place and he said go, sit, relax. If you want something let my daughter know, if you don't enjoy the view. We ended up having 4 frozen margaritas, chips and salsa(this was free) and fish tacos and our bill was only 23$$ and it was great.. the owner Fernando gave us a shot of his special agave tequila too.. Very nice, I would go there again , as a matter of fact we will be in Jan..

Is that all there is at this port? We too are considering a cruise with the same short (and early) port time and have just started looking into our options. Is a beach club the only option? We will be enjoying nice beaches at Roatan, Cozumel and Belize and were hoping to find in our upcoming research something different to experience in CM.

Is that all there is at this port? We too are considering a cruise with the same short (and early) port time and have just started looking into our options. Is a beach club the only option? We will be enjoying nice beaches at Roatan, Cozumel and Belize and were hoping to find in our upcoming research something different to experience in CM.

Would recommend you take a cheap taxi to Mahahual. This has a nice boardwalk where you can walk, chill out a beachside bar, get a cheap massage, rent wave runners etc.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

• 2 weeks later...

We're on the Dream in March with the 7a-2p schedule as well. It looks like the Chacchoben Extreme Tour fits right into that schedule, but it's VERY tight. Has anyone done this tour while on this time span? If so, did you ever feel nervous that you wouldn't make it back to the ship in time?

http://www.thenativechoice.com/chacchoben_extreme.php

• 2 months later...

We just booked the Chacchoben Extreme for Costa Maya on April 3, and we are coming in on the Dream. I double checked with them by email and they assure that they adjust the tour to fit the shorter time in port. This tour sounds amazing and has great reviews, we are excited to try it out!

I look back on this thread and realize how much I've since learned about this port on this forum, thanks everyone!

We're booked at Tropicante on our short day. I had considered renting a golf cart and heading away from Mahahual because we're in port with 10,000 fellow cruisers. But just not enough time to relax at Maya Luna or anywhere with this short time in port. And watching videos it looks like a golf cart/dune buggy rat race, not a unique experience on the ride. So having a spot reserved for free sounded great, especially with this many ppl in port. If we return for a longer port time we will do the Maya Luna trip as recommended by another visitor.

Will see some of you there in 25 days!

Edited by blue_water

• 4 weeks later...

cosigning this sentiment. Planning to do the same itinerary on the Sunshine in August. Not interested in all 4 ports being beach stops.