81 New Cabins planned for the Navigator

FIRELT5

Used the link to create these before and after floor plans ...

Thanks for all the work it must have been to put the side by side comparisons together. They really show the differences well. Curious why they seem to be changing names for several venues.

We took a chance on booking one of the new deck 12 balconies based on what the website said. At the time that we booked, the booking website (and even a RCCL agent) said the balconies were AFT (they still do and we took a screen shot of the booking page).

Based on previous experience, we ASSUMED (I know, I know) that the balcony that we booked would be on the far aft, maybe at the very back.

There wasn't a deck plan for the new staterooms until way after we booked.

Now we just go enjoy the cruise and chalk this up to OOPS...:eek:

• 1 month later...
It used to be that one of the key criteria in choosing a cruise was the ships "space ratio". A high space ratio usually indicates a great deal of public space and open areas.

Royal Caribbean is now going below 40 Space Ratio on many of their ships with this years re-vitalizations. Even Quantum of the Seas will only have a space ration of 39.

Only Enchantment at 35 and Majesty at 30 space ratio were at one time below 40 for RCI.

For a relationship Carnival ships fall below 35, while Disney falls around 50. The luxury ships of Seabourn come in at around 70 or double the space per passenger of a Carnival cruise. The new Norwegian Breakaway came in very low for a new ship at just 35 space ratio.

I sailed on Liberty for a Trans-Atlantic and it has a space ratio of 44 and seemed just about perfect to me.

Navigator is currently at 44 as well and that will drop substantially with the addition of the 81 new cabins, that is for sure.

Disney ships' space ratio is 32-34, not 50. Disney ships have a lot more triples, quads and even quintuples compared to other cruise lines. They sail at a much higher capacity level than other lines - usually 140% of double occupancy, compared to an average of 108% for RCCL.

http://www.shipcruise.org/cruise-ship-passenger-capacity-ratings/

It used to be that one of the key criteria in choosing a cruise was the ships "space ratio". A high space ratio usually indicates a great deal of public space and open areas.

Royal Caribbean is now going below 40 Space Ratio on many of their ships with this years re-vitalizations. Even Quantum of the Seas will only have a space ration of 39.

Only Enchantment at 35 and Majesty at 30 space ratio were at one time below 40 for RCI.

For a relationship Carnival ships fall below 35, while Disney falls around 50. The luxury ships of Seabourn come in at around 70 or double the space per passenger of a Carnival cruise. The new Norwegian Breakaway came in very low for a new ship at just 35 space ratio.

I sailed on Liberty for a Trans-Atlantic and it has a space ratio of 44 and seemed just about perfect to me.

Navigator is currently at 44 as well and that will drop substantially with the addition of the 81 new cabins, that is for sure.

Can you explain space ratio to me please? Thanks in advance.

Can you explain space ratio to me please? Thanks in advance.

Divide the GRT (gross registered tons) by the number of passengers. GRT is a measure of total enclosed volume on a cruise ship. For example, Oasis has a GRT of 225,000 and double occupancy capacity of 5400. So the double occupancy space ratio is 225,000/5400 = 41.6.

Edited by clarea