Dining Questions

skogler

We will be on Disney Dream in a few weeks. What are the dining recommendations for brekfast and lunch? We will be travelling as a couple. Also, I understand the dining rotation. Is it worthwhile to go to the specialty restaurants? We have been on other cruise lines but this our first on Disney. Any other ideas to make a great cruise would be appreciated.

We will be on Disney Dream in a few weeks. What are the dining recommendations for brekfast and lunch? We will be travelling as a couple. Also, I understand the dining rotation. Is it worthwhile to go to the specialty restaurants? We have been on other cruise lines but this our first on Disney. Any other ideas to make a great cruise would be appreciated.

If you are doing a 4 night I would do Palo one of the nights, as opposed to Remy. Since it is your first DCL cruise however I would suggest that you go to each of the restaurants to experience them.

As for other times, we like to hang out the door tag at night and have room service bring coffee and fruit or croissants in the morning and then head to one of the DR for a sit down breakfast later. Your navigator will give you what DR and time. Again for lunch we prefer to have a sit down so we go to whichever DR is serving lunch that day. The caveat here is to not miss Cookies BBQ on Castaway Cay. Head down to Serenity Bay and enjoy a great lunch outside.

Best tip, utilize room service, coffee in the a.m. - warm cookies and milk at night or Mickey bars (not on the menu but they will bring them)

Just remember to tip the room service staff :D

Have fun

We prefer the sit down option for lunch (or occasionally the buffet with drink service). These are typically in Royal Garden/Lumiere's/Triton's for the sit down and Parrot Cay/Enchanted Garden for the buffet with beverage service. Frankly, we don't often do the pool deck buffets unless the times in the other locations don't suit our schedule. The menu for the next sit down meal is posted outside the dining room as soon as the current meal ends, so you can easily check out the menu before making a choice. But, each family has its own preferences--I don't like having to jump up to refill drinks, etc.

As to the adult only dining...I probably wouldn't do it the first time on the ship. You can't possibly experience everything DCL has to offer during a single 4 night cruise. Each night in the dining rooms is different. I would experience the "included" options the first time around, and add adult dining on your next DCL cruise. That said, if I chose to miss one dining room experience, it would be pirate night as this is our least favorite menu.

Breakfast for us is in Cabanas lots to choose from long hours to go in, plenty of room and on top decks where you can see where you are or go to the pools after, lunch normally cabanas again but occasionally we have a sit down meal in the MDR open Royal court /place.

Palo and Remy for brunch and dinner are fantastic and worth going.

In our past cruises, we did room service in am, only made it to sit down breakfast ONCE, and lunch a few times. Mostly we did room service or ate by the pool or buffet.

Last year with Disney, we did sit down every morning. I found it rather enjoyable, and I'm not the sit down and eat type. For lunch, same thing, only once by the pools. I'd rather grab something light from Goofy's or such.

We've never done the specialty restaurants, I don't think. I remember mil wanted to on one cruise, but if we did, it doesn't stand out...lol.

We do mdr for dinner (every night, we've only missed once-slept through!) I'd rather not do mdr for every meal, but with a kid it was easy.

Thank you for the information. Has anyone gone to Palo's for brunch?

Yes the best meal on the ship IMHO, try and book it, it's in different sections, a Buffett style start, help your self so many times, breakfast items, seafood and cheese, then an ordered item from omelette to a main entree, then the deserts and leave space for that so many nice things.

On my blog I have loads of photos we went twice.

http://alaskawaltwhales.blogspot.co.uk/ the Alaska blog.

http://alaskawaltwhales.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/palo-brunch-on-tracy-arm-day-and.html Palo brunch on the Wonder.

http://fantasyfantasyholiday2012.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/palo-brunch-and-dinner.html.

Palo brunch on the Fantasy.

It really depends on what you feel like that day :)

We generally start our day with room service drinks and pastries, then head to a "real" breakfast. Breakfast in the MDRs vary each day between EG and RP, EG is a buffet but you could order omelets or whatever you wanted too and RP is a sit-down. We liked the MDRs for breakfast over the chaos of Cabanas.

For lunch, we always check out the menu at the MDRs but we've only eaten there once because we're pretty basic eaters and they were a pretty fancy menu (and we're usually still too full from our 2 breakfasts) LOL We generally ate lunch at Flo's which is right by the pools, they have basic lunch stuff (I love the panini's).

For sit down lunch in the MDR do go on opening or soon after, there was a reported 40 min wait on my last cruise.

wow! We never had a wait for lunch or breakfast and only was forced to sit with random people last day. (The number one thing I detest about cruise ships, being forced to sit with random people, I think since we had a 14 month, that prevented it! The only other time we did lunch MDR on a cruise we were stuck with other people-so we never did again.)

Waiting 40 minutes with dh and a toddler just doesn't happen (I won't say who worse at waiting...)

Thanks for the advise. What time is the brunch at Palo's?

They start at 10am and slots go on to 1 pm, so you can do it as a late breakfast or as lunch, or whatever you like.

wow! We never had a wait for lunch or breakfast and only was forced to sit with random people last day. (The number one thing I detest about cruise ships, being forced to sit with random people, I think since we had a 14 month, that prevented it! The only other time we did lunch MDR on a cruise we were stuck with other people-so we never did again.)

Waiting 40 minutes with dh and a toddler just doesn't happen (I won't say who worse at waiting...)

Yes there was this advised wait at lunch, I would say that whilst we didn't mention we were in a suite as soon as the room number was given the advised wait went away, but others were advised and they went away. Tritons was very busy on that sea day and servers were working hard.

For sit down lunch in the MDR do go on opening or soon after, there was a reported 40 min wait on my last cruise.

Wow, the only time I experienced more than a 5 minute wait for a sit down lunch was on the maiden voyage of the Magic--and they obviously didn't know what they were doing! No need to go right at opening on a "normal" cruise, and on the long cruises (14 night, etc.) they have special offerings to tempt people to the pool deck--like BBQ up there.

Brunch runs 10-1 seatings and remains open till about 2 (for those with later seatings). It is good. Great? Maybe not, but excellent food and atmosphere. The dipped strawberries were plentiful........lots of really good things!

Wow' date=' the only time I experienced more than a 5 minute wait for a sit down lunch was on the maiden voyage of the Magic--and they obviously didn't know what they were doing! No need to go right at opening on a "normal" cruise, and on the long cruises (14 night, etc.) they have special offerings to tempt people to the pool deck--like BBQ up there.

Brunch runs 10-1 seatings and remains open till about 2 (for those with later seatings). It is good. Great? Maybe not, but excellent food and atmosphere. The dipped strawberries were plentiful........lots of really good things![/quote']

Maybe a number if factors together, it's Alaska it's a sea day it's cold outside, and we have three ports if call coming up and everyone has the same idea hit a Tritons and then stay there.

Archived