Misty Fjords Floatplane tour

Stachi

Our cruise on RCCL (Serenade) in August includes a 6-8pm "cruise-by" of Misty Fjords - how much will we really see (how close up or far in will we be) in a boat that size? Is it worth taking a two-hour floatplane tour for over $200 each just to see the same stuff we'll see from the boat? We're helicoptering over the glaciers in Juneau (at a high price already) and I don't want to spend more money to see more of the same...

We were on the Serenade last week. We did the Floatplane excursion with Island Wings and loved it. Flying over the Misty Fjords was an incredible experience for us. You get a great perspective on the vastness of the area, how the fjords were carved out, the effect of logging on the national forest and awesome scenery. Because we had two children, Michelle brought us to a lake that still had a snow field near the lake edge. Playing in snow in July was pretty neat. We all scampered on the hillside and had a great time. Overall my wife and I enjoyed the experience immensely; the children enjoyed some other excursions more.

The Serenade will cruise down one of the fjords for about an hour and then turn around where some channels meet and sail out. They have spotted bears on some trips where the ship turns around. Unfortunately last week there were some kayakers in the area which spooked them away. I think the perspective from sailing down a fjord enhanced the experience for us. You get a better sense of the solitude, greenery and serenity of the area from the ship. The low lying clouds in the valleys helped the "Misty" fjords live up to its name.

We did not do any helicopter tours so I cannot compare them with the floatplane. In my opinion, I think the floatplane and the cruise down the fjord on the ship complement each other and would do it again.

Enjoy!

But you won't see the same thing. you'll see the tops of mountains.

For instance, I'd seen the photos of the Panama Canal from the air and wanted to go there. So I went thru the canal, and could not see the SAME beauty that was seen in the photos from the air. i don't regret going thru the locks at all because that was a separate experience,

So, the float plane will give you the "brochure" pictures.

I have sailed Misty Fjords with RCI but it is completely different than the float plane tours. You get much further into the park and see from the air the scenery. Also the floatplane experience is worthwhile if you haven't flown in one. MOST important, be out on deck during your sailing, skip dinner if you have to. :)

Archived