Questions from 'newbie cruiser' - booked for Dec 2013 (Panama Canal)

skoobadiva

Hi Everyone,

I've never cruised before, and I chose Windstar for the smaller, more intimate, luxurious experience. I've spent some time browsing through the threads and some of my questions have been answered, however I still have some questions that some of you 'seasoned sailors' may be able to answer. :D

1) How often do they raise the sails and sail without power? Are guests invited to participate in the festivities?

2) I see you can have dinner on the deck? How does that work? Should it be registered for in advance?

3) Are there any other ship-based activities (besides spa appts) that should be pre-registered for?

4) SCUBA - I am an avid SCUBA diver and am somewhat disappointed in the excursion offerings (only three dives total for the week?!), and I'm getting conflicting information from Windstar about whether I can dive directly off the sports platform if the ship is anchored. Instead of going on the shore excursions (which aren't really appealing to me after reading some of the threads), I may prefer to SCUBA if the ship can arrange it? Any inside tips or knowledge on this???

Thank you, in advance, for the replies.

1)They pull the sails out (they're computerized) when the leave port. Whether the motors are off depend on wind conditions. Most captains will try to be under only sail power as much as possible - but if the wind is taking you in a different direction you wouldn't getbto the next port.The festivities include listening to some great sail away music (from the movie "1492") as the sails come out. It is awesome.

2)There are two types of eating on deck. The outdoor barbecue is for everyone and no need to sign up. You can also dine at Candles - just sign up with the Maitre'd when you board.

3) Nothing you need to sign up for in advance - it's a small ship.

4)The sports platform is open when anchored but it also depends on sea conditions. The sports team will help out with scuba - but it is limited. Some people have arranged private scuba dives in some ports - but the traffic lanes into and out of the Panama Canal are not your best scuba venues.

Have a great trip - we have done Costa Rica and or Costa Rica/Panama 5 times and absolutely love it!

Hi r&rd,

Thanks for the reply, it was VERY helpful! I'm happy about my choice of itinerary - I've wanted to see the Panama Canal for years!!!

I have to say, I'm somewhat disappointed at the amount of information available on Windstar's website, so thank goodness for websites like these where folks can share information and knowledge!

• 5 weeks later...