Amazon River, what to expect?

editor@cruisecritic

Cruzsnooze

Thank you for all the great tips. Will definitely stock up on bug spray.

Did you get yellow fever shot before going?

We got yellow fever shots and my DH took Malaria pills, I chose not to take them prophylacticly.

The Aria looks fabulous. I chose the Aquamarina because for the same price as 4 days we got 7 days on this cruise and I enjoyed the longer experience.

Edited by cruzsnooze

Can any of you wealth of knowledge tell me what company actually owns the Aria? I noticed that many use it such as Avalon etc. But does Aqua Expeditions actually own and operate the Aria and Aqua?

I am very interested in doing one next fall and torn between the Aria for a 3, 4 or 7 days or

going full out and doing the 10-day with International Expedition (IE). If it were up to me I would like the IE itinerary but the others in my group I'm afraid may want to do other things in Peru which is why I started looking at the 4 or 7 day on the Aria and wanted to know who to contact.

Thanks!!

Can any of you wealth of knowledge tell me what company actually owns the Aria? I noticed that many use it such as Avalon etc. But does Aqua Expeditions actually own and operate the Aria and Aqua?

I am very interested in doing one next fall and torn between the Aria for a 3, 4 or 7 days or

going full out and doing the 10-day with International Expedition (IE). If it were up to me I would like the IE itinerary but the others in my group I'm afraid may want to do other things in Peru which is why I started looking at the 4 or 7 day on the Aria and wanted to know who to contact.

Thanks!!

I was happy with IE. You can add on a day or two to stay in Peru and sight see if you want. You actually fly from Lima to iquito to board any of the Amazon boats.

What is the average cost for a 7 day river adventure with Aqua Expeditions?

You can look at their web site for dates and rates and compare them to international expedition and lindblad (Lindblad is national geographic Delfin 11 is their boat) Any of these boats with air will run around $9.000 - $10,000

What is the average cost for a 7 day river adventure with Aqua Expeditions?

I went to Aqua website and it was $6600 PP and you need air . By comparison IE was $4500 PP. The Aqua had more amenities and the cabins looked bigger and nicer furnishings. If we go back I want to do the 7 days on the Defin 2 with Lindblad which is national geographic's boat.

Great advice, Cruzsnooze. A couple of other suggestions I brought back with me from my trip on International Expeditions' La Estrella Amazonica: Bring hand sanitizing sheets. Definitely pack the bug spray (I had to buy mine in Peru and it wasn't as strong as the American brands). Wear light-colored clothes (the skeeters love dark). Bring school supplies (practical stuff like pens and notebooks seemed to be appreciated) for kids.

I was warned that sometimes the ship runs out of diet Coke (and literally there was no place to buy any on land throughout the week). I didn't run into that situation, but just a heads up. There are hairdryers and shampoo. The laundry service is fantastic, prompt and wonderful. And free! Crew cleaned shoes of all passengers when we got back onboard after a muddy or wet excursion.

On this ship, another cool touch: They've got lockers in a hallway (but outside) where every passenger can stow his or her camera. This way the lenses don't fog up, as they would if you brought it out from your cabin. There's two lockers for each cabin, and they are, as befits the name, lockable.

Here's a blog I did on the packing process: http://www.cruisecritic.com/blog/index.php/2013/11/15/packing-challenge-an-adventure-cruise-to-the-amazon/

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

They do your laundry and it's complimentary, and since they got the newer ship I'll assume they put in hair dryers which they did have in the older ship.

BEST ADVICE I CAN OFFER

1. wash your clothes before leaving home with a deet product (must must must)

2 take lots of bug repellant

3 take Benadryl cream 2 % (a mosquito will get you trust me on this)

4. take benadryl pills 25 mg. (less drowsiness with a lower dose)

5 Wear light weight long sleeves on all tops and long pants

6 Wear socks (the mosquitoes know about uncovered feet in sandals

7. Hats are really needed for sun glare and the hot sun

8 Binoculars

9 Own shampoo & Conditioner scent free (again mosquitos love you in the Amazon)

I never used sun screen because i was covered and I don't sun bathe

I brought crystal light sticks to put in the bottles of water, which is complimentary

Cokes are $2 adult beverages are available and the menu with prices is listed above the bar

Something that will strike you as weird ....you hang your cameras on a hook outside your cabin, never in your cabin. Nobody on these cruises will touch your property, it's only a 22 pax boat. If you take it in your cabin the cool air will cause condensation within the camera. You will know everyone after the first day and everyone is as friendly as can be. People will leave their ipad, binoculars, cameras on a table in the community room too and no one will bother it.

Francesco Galli Zugaro is the owner/president of Aqua. I met with him when I was in Sydney last month -- the line is expanding this year into the Mekong. Interesting company; more info here: http://www.aquaexpeditions.com/about/letter-from-founder-francesco-galli-zugaro/

Carolyn

Thanks!!

Hi, a blog chronicling the trip's Hits and Misses is here: http://www.cruisecritic.com/blog/index.php/2013/12/04/amazon-river-cruising-hits-misses/

The ship review, I'm told, is going up this week.

Carolyn

How was your cruise on the Amazon? We need details. Any hints about what to take?