Cruising while potty training

maighdeanmhara

LOL @ "unfortunately" ;) He's my only one so I guess if I were to have another, I shouldn't expect it to be so easy from what I'm reading here. :cool:

So true :). Sometimes sensitivities are a good thing, sometimes not so much. I'm an OT, so ds1 has it tough lol!

I only have two boys, but they could not be more different. They look alike, and that's about it! I've learned to read and take in what others suggest, knowing that it may work, it may not, but nothing is set in stone when it comes to raising children.

I trained four boys---all adults now. The first two trained in about a week because, I think, I still used cloth diapers. They didn't like the wet feel. The younger two took longer because I used disposable diapers where they never felt the discomfort. I honestly feel that disposable diapers are the bane of easy potty training, and my four boys are proof positive.

So true! The average age of potty training a kiddo in cloth diapers is 18 months, average age in disposables is 3 1/2 years. Lol. Every kid is different, but cloth certainly puts the numbers on your side!

Potty training is easy as long as your child is neurologically ready for it - and that is by three years old for most children. Some are ready earlier, some a little later. But if your child has not yet reached that stage of development, you are wasting your time.

For my three children, I just put them into little panties during the summer after their second birthdays. That way, they could get used to the sensation of feeling wet, and associate cause and effect. Then, a gentle suggestion such as "Yes, getting wet doesn't feel nice. Perhaps next time you could use the potty?" They were all trained by the end of summer.

My first granddaughter trained herself, at day care soon after her second birthday. She had been in pullups for about a month. One day, when the staff could not find her, she was discovered in their bathroom. She had copied the older children, taken down her pullups herself and used the little toilet. She had very few daytime accidents after that.

Second granddaughter has just turned two. She loves being in little pants and especially loves taking them off, but she has not yet managed to get to the potty in time. She's got the idea - the rest will come!

Happy to report that he is doing great! He has not had a single accident in public and is down to maybe 2 a day that happen when he is very absorbed in whatever he is doing (usually puzzles).

When he does have an accident, he gasps and runs to the corner, embarrassed. I put him on the potty and he finishes there. So, even when he has accidents, he has learned to stop the flow and finish on his potty. Thanks everyone for the tips, advice and support. I don't think I will tackle night training until after our cruise. I'm already sleep deprived!

As for the cloth vs disposables, I do have a few friends that did cloth (I always wanted to, never did). One has a 3 and 4 year old who aren't totally trained yet, 1 trained both her boys at 20 months and 1 trained her boys at 2.5 and 3.

How many pair of underwear would you bring on a 7 day cruise? My husband said 30. He doesn't have 4 accidents a day now, so idk why he would in 6 weeks. Ay thoughts?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

How many pair of underwear would you bring on a 7 day cruise? My husband said 30. He doesn't have 4 accidents a day now, so idk why he would in 6 weeks. Ay thoughts?

I'd rather come home with a bunch un-used than not have enough on board. In a new situation or when they're having too much fun, they can forget. Since little kids clothes are so small, I always brought lots of extra underwear and extra pants/shorts.

The greatest thing I bought when my girls started training and we were traveling was a pottette. It's a little fold up potty that fits in a backpack and comes with disposable bags. It's really nice not having to suddenly find a restroom in port, or deal with icky restrooms. At home it stays in the car for similar situations - my girls are 8 and we still use it on long road trips sometimes.

I also brought waterproof pads for the bed for night time in case the pull-ups leaked.

Best,

Mia

Archived