New Cabanas at GSC-Small Cabana On The Cay

Nalagh

I'm not sure that anyone knows yet, as they were just announced. Hopefully someone soon will post a review. I'll not be there until mid November, so if not I will post a lot of info on them.

Having said that, I would presume they are close to the large cabanas, so that the wait staff can cover both.

Thanks. You're probably right about the small ones being close to the large ones. That would only make sense. But you never know.

Someone indicated that there is an additional buffet beyond the cabanas. Am I correct to assume that they're referring to the area between "Private Cabanas" and the "Expanded Beach Front"?

When I initially posted my question, I knew that it might be difficult to get an answer since the small cabanas are so new. However, I was hoping that we would get lucky and maybe someone from the 10/13 sailing might have taken notice and/or taken photos. Still hoping.

So, since we are on the topic- there is a disclaimer that people with mobility issues won't be able to walk to the water. Are the cabanas set back? Or are they saying wheelchairs can't navigate the terrain? I probably won't even leave the ship, but I may want the experience. Thanks for all the information.

I too booked bak when the hippo slide was included. I remember trying to justify the cost to my husband by explaining the $50 credit and the cost for three hippo slide passes, lol. I think if you paid/booked when it was included you should get what you paid for. I plan to bring this up on my sailing. They are all sold out so it doesn't even show what up under excursions now. Would love to know if those cost went up.

Thanks. You're probably right about the small ones being close to the large ones. That would only make sense. But you never know.

Someone indicated that there is an additional buffet beyond the cabanas. Am I correct to assume that they're referring to the area between "Private Cabanas" and the "Expanded Beach Front"?

When I initially posted my question, I knew that it might be difficult to get an answer since the small cabanas are so new. However, I was hoping that we would get lucky and maybe someone from the 10/13 sailing might have taken notice and/or taken photos. Still hoping.

Yea, John, I am hoping that too. Come on people, let's hear where the cabanas and food are located!

On second thoughts, they are more likely to post under the private islands forum...so I'll repost there.

Edited by limeyalchemist

Hi. I am going Nov 3 and I reserved a small cabana. I will take a video and write a review. Any specific questions, please feel free to ask.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Thanks rocky55! Where the cabanas are located on the island for sure is the big question. Also, if the small cabanas provides towels and have the outdoor shower.

Thanks rocky55! Where the cabanas are located on the island for sure is the big question. Also, if the small cabanas provides towels and have the outdoor shower.

I certainly will get all that info for you! :)

Hi. I am going Nov 3 and I reserved a small cabana. I will take a video and write a review. Any specific questions, please feel free to ask.

Thanks Rocky55! Just a few questions...:)

Do they have electrical outlets in the small cabanas?

Do they refill the snacks during the day?

Is the service good?

Drinks menu/prices?

Do they offer to get BBQ for you or is it easy enough to do yourself?

Do they strictly enforce the 4 person limit?

How far is the walk to the waters edge?

How does priority tendering work out?

Are cabanas assigned on board or on the island based on when you show up?

Many, many thanks for any info.

Edited by limeyalchemist

Thanks Rocky55! Just a few questions...:)

Do they have electrical outlets in the small cabanas?

Do they refill the snacks during the day?

Is the service good?

Drinks menu/prices?

Do they offer to get BBQ for you or is it easy enough to do yourself?

Do they strictly enforce the 4 person limit?

How far is the walk to the waters edge?

How does priority tendering work out?

Are cabanas assigned on board or on the island based on when you show up?

Many, many thanks for any info.

My pleasure!!

I had a cabana booked for my cruise in early March. Despite traveling solo, I was going to do it... largely because it's my birthday cruise and I figured, "Eh, what the heck." But the more I read about the island, the more I reconsidered. In the end, I opted to cancel, save that money and use it on board. Unlike, say, Disney's Castaway Cay, NCL's island just doesn't sound all that appealing to me. I'm pretty sure I made the right decision for me.

Richard/Tralfie

Update...

NCL changed their description of the small cabana yesterday. It now comes with $50 food and beverage credit, instead of the previously posted $25 and states that now can hold up 6 people, although $25 pp charge for each additional person above 4.

So maybe all of our complaining on here caught their attention and inspired them to correct an obvious oversight.

http://www.ncl.com/port/great-stirrup-cay-bahamas/excursions

Update...

NCL changed their description of the small cabana yesterday. It now comes with $50 food and beverage credit, instead of the previously posted $25 and states that now can hold up 6 people, although $25 pp charge for each additional person above 4.

So maybe all of our complaining on here caught their attention and inspired them to correct an obvious oversight.

And they raised the price to $349!!! I just checked and it said it is for 6 people and you can add 2 more after that for $25 more

Update...

I just checked my Breakaway sailing for 11/3 and the price of the small cabana also went up to $349! :eek:

Just off the breakaway on Sunday and we had rented a large cabana and prebooked it last year when we booked the cruise. It was then $249 with the $50 beverage credit including the hippo slide. Our doc on board for the cabana said nothing about the hippo slide being included. They did advertise a large cabana on board for $399 and small for $349 with the $50 and $25 credits.

I didn't take pix of either. The small ones had most of the same furniture but a smaller table. Basically there was just less room to move around. I think that there were about 8 -10 small cabanas that were just past the last large cabanas but not elevated high up. All faced the water so they were all relatively shaded even in front of the cabanas.

They provided an order form to preorder drinks/snacks and wanted it the day before Andy shore excursions seemed surprised when I turned it in. We only received 6 beers so make sure someone is around the cabana early on to double check what you receive.

My nephew did go on the hippo slide and I think they would have told me if they tried to charge them for going on but I will ask him to be sure.

Just off the breakaway on Sunday and we had rented a large cabana and prebooked it last year when we booked the cruise. It was then $249 with the $50 beverage credit including the hippo slide. Our doc on board for the cabana said nothing about the hippo slide being included. They did advertise a large cabana on board for $399 and small for $349 with the $50 and $25 credits.

I didn't take pix of either. The small ones had most of the same furniture but a smaller table. Basically there was just less room to move around. I think that there were about 8 -10 small cabanas that were just past the last large cabanas but not elevated high up. All faced the water so they were all relatively shaded even in front of the cabanas.

They provided an order form to preorder drinks/snacks and wanted it the day before Andy shore excursions seemed surprised when I turned it in. We only received 6 beers so make sure someone is around the cabana early on to double check what you receive.

My nephew did go on the hippo slide and I think they would have told me if they tried to charge them for going on but I will ask him to be sure.

Thanks very much for the report. One question: is there a second dining facility closer to the cabanas?

I didn't see any additional dining facilities beyond the main central facilities prior to the large cabanas, but I didn't specifically look for them. They did have many hot dog carts all over the island which was great since everyone commented that they only ever saw one on the ship.

The brand new Lagoon is now open which is past the small cabanas. I didn't walk down there, but those in my family that did said it was very nice.

Another note, they didn't really explain the priority tender process well with the cabanas. They just indicate on the ticket in your room that this is your priority pass but don't tell you when you could go. Once again this was on the Breakaway so other ships may be different. They made an announcement that people could get tender tickets the day before. They then started announcing when we arrived that low number tender numbers could depart, then Gold and Silver Lattitudes people then those on excursions which is when we got off. There isn't a big need to get off immediately since there is so much more room on the island so it wasn't a big deal and we didn't have any wait to get a tender. Just an FYI.

Omarchs, If we have a large cabana booked already but only need the space of a small one.. would you recommend switching to save money? Is it a really long walk? We have two small kids, so I don't want to trek all over if we can avoid it.

Thanks in advance!

I didn't see any additional dining facilities beyond the main central facilities prior to the large cabanas, but I didn't specifically look for them. They did have many hot dog carts all over the island which was great since everyone commented that they only ever saw one on the ship.

The brand new Lagoon is now open which is past the small cabanas. I didn't walk down there, but those in my family that did said it was very nice.

Another note, they didn't really explain the priority tender process well with the cabanas. They just indicate on the ticket in your room that this is your priority pass but don't tell you when you could go. Once again this was on the Breakaway so other ships may be different. They made an announcement that people could get tender tickets the day before. They then started announcing when we arrived that low number tender numbers could depart, then Gold and Silver Lattitudes people then those on excursions which is when we got off. There isn't a big need to get off immediately since there is so much more room on the island so it wasn't a big deal and we didn't have any wait to get a tender. Just an FYI.

Thanks for posting some very useful info. Can you let us know whether you had colored wristbands to indicate that you were in a cabana? Did they strictly enforce how many people were in the cabana?

I'd also like to know how long a walk it is to the small cabanas. We are taking someone with limited mobility but can walk slowly.

How many beers does $50 beverage credit get you?

How far a walk from the food to the cabana? Is it close enough to carry food back to the shelter.

Can anyone go to the new lagoon, and what is there? Is it a new beach?

Hi everyone, we never received a map of the revamped island which would have been helpful for everyone. The new tender dock is at the very end of the island. They are still doing construction on a new area to one side of the dock. The hippo slide and straw market are on the other side.

It is probably another few minute walk to the first beach area with the main cookout area. The new Patron bar is also in this area. It is then another few minute walk either by the beach or a higher pass to get to the next beach area where the larger cabanas are perched above. This beach area was relatively small and the sand didn't completely cover the coral walking down from the cabanas so be careful walking.

The new small cabanas are just past the last large cabana but not elevated so they are a little more accessible but not as private as the large ones. There is another beach area in front of the small cabanas that is larger and was less crowded due to the longer walk. The new lagoon is a little walk past this area.

I can't estimate the distance to the cabana area but it was a decent size walk. (5-7 minutes)The small cabanas are just a little further than the large ones so not much difference in walking time.

They gave us green wristbands to wear but they didn't hassle us about putting them on. The cabana staff went and picked up food for us and brought it back to the cabana. This wasn't listed as a perk but it was very nice of the staff and did save a walk. The cabana next to us was empty and the staff did ask for documentation when a few groups tried to sit there and kicked them out.

There were multiple packages of 12 pack beers that were between $45 to $52 plus 15%. They did provide a fruit bowl and six bottles of water. Our refig didn't keep much cold. The lagoon was just an open swimming area. Someone did say that it was enclosed recently since sharks were previously able to get in but now it was sealed. Don't know how true it was, but it is a very nice area. Probably a 15 minute walk from the dock area

I'd also like to know how long a walk it is to the small cabanas. We are taking someone with limited mobility but can walk slowly.

I am travelling with someone with limited mobility and was told by an NCL rep that they have a limited amount of beach wheelchairs which may help getting to and from the cabana area easier.

Omarchs, thank you! I appreciate that you have taken the time to answer all of these questions.

I'll be in a small cabana in a little over two weeks, so I will post lots of photos of the cabanas + beach and the lagoon.

I believe that there is a shower behind the cabana. I'll see if I can post some photos of the large cabanas that I saved from an earlier thread on all this.

Really looking forward to it. All we need now are calms was when we arrive. Have heard about 25% of visits to GSC are cancelled by rough seas.

Many thanks.

ImageUploadedByForums1383356719.216759.jpg.104ce5f13cebc5f95f2fd21808198e53.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1383356738.727114.jpg.9ab38b99d70e506d7f68bd68c7b8071a.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1383356747.008292.jpg.186f745e0e9c9d2667224d54ff900f60.jpg