Three Day Golden Princess

MsSoCalCruiser

When you order an expensive bottle of wine, it's required that the server taste it to make sure you are getting what you pay for, I do know that you end up loosing half a glass but they do this in a lot of good restaurants

@suzy. I am not sure where you have seen that but no sommelier would ever taste a customers wine, ever. Berns, here in the Tampa area, has one of the largest wine cellars in the country and sommeliers who train for years before being in front of a customer and this never happens, nor should it.

The OPs mom should have handled the situation right there at the table with the staff, but hopefully her letter will get some attention.

I was on this cruise as well, and this was our first cruise with Princess.

I think the Golden is a really nice ship and has some very nice public areas.

We took a mini suite on Deck 9 and learned that I will not do that again on our next trip to Hawaii on the Star. Your balcony has no cover and you are sitting in full view of the passengers above you.

As far as the Golden, I felt the crew seemed somewhat rude. On previous cruises I have been used to being greeted in the morning by any and all crew members as we wander about the ship by a simple ' good morning'.

Not once did any crew member we passed say anything...

Eventhough the service in the MDR was fine, the food was not good.

I am a steak guy, and this cruise had the worst meat I have ever tasted.

I hope the food on our 15 day Hawaai trip in April will represent Princess in a better light.

Pub lunch was on the Seaday (Sunday), had the fish & chips. Not sure what the big deal about the pub lunch is IMO.

One food item which was quite good , was the Pizza on Deck 14 aft.

That was really one of the best Pizza's I've had.

One more thing, if you book a room towards the Aft of the ship get ready to be awaked by the noise from the aft thrusters as the ship is turning to dock. It litteraly shakes the bed you are in. Not a huge deal as I like to be awake when the ship docks, but can be annoying for anyone wanting to sleep a bit longer.

@suzy. I am not sure where you have seen that but no sommelier would ever taste a customers wine, ever. Berns, here in the Tampa area, has one of the largest wine cellars in the country and sommeliers who train for years before being in front of a customer and this never happens, nor should it.

The OPs mom should have handled the situation right there at the table with the staff, but hopefully her letter will get some attention.

This has happened to us in Europe and earlier this year on the Celebrity Solstice speciality restaurant, we were told in Europe that in high end restaurants they ensure the wine is good before it's drank. We are no expert, just like good wine.

I have never heard of the server tasting the wine; but rather it is served to the person ordering it first for their approval.

Mike:)

Mike is correct. The wine is given to the person who orders. If the restaurant has a sommelier they might take a sip from the necklace they wear around their neck, but never a waiter!

Archived