Holiday Info and Progresso Question

Terri102066

Progresso- was there in Oct '04 on Elation. Most people did a ruins tour, but we decided to walk aroung the town on our own. They shuttle you from the pier into town. There is a shopping market right were you are let off. We walked down to the beach area and were approached by many restaurant vendors to rent their chairs and table for the day. We sat and had Coronas and nachos for awhile in the afternoon. Many vendors approach you while you are on the beach- almost constantly. My husband speaks Spanish so it wasn't a bother to us. We understand that they want our business- very poor town. I did alot of shopping there- negotiated very well. Overall not much to see, but we enjoyed our day and found that most people were very nice. Don't be afraid to say no or just shake your head though.

DW and I have been to Progreso/Merida twice. We have use Carnival Excursions on both of the times there. On our first cruise we took the bus to Merida and visited the Historical town square, then we left there and went to Ranch Teirra Bonita for lunch, ballet folklorico and mexican style rodeo. On or second cruise we went to Dzibilchatun. This space may not have the pyramids like Chichen Itza but is still very interesting. Many did take the bus from the tourist village to Progreso and had a great day on the beach and drinking $1.00 Corona. Hope this helps. Be sure to check out hte Ports of Call board for more information.

If you don't want to do the ruins or sit on the beach, take the bus to Merida. Twenty-one miles and a beautiful (large) spanish colonial city. Leave the Merida bus terminal, take a right and walk three blocks to the

main plaza. Large buildings from the 1540 period. Casa de Montejo, the cathedral, etc. Very clean and safe city. Plenty of sidewalk cafes and parks.

Take a carriage ride out on Paseo Montejo, a very broad, upscale European style boulevard. I'll be in Merida again for two weeks in Oct.

Archived