Lobster!

Does anyone know the policy of serving lobster on the cruises? I remember the days when lobster was served regardless of how many days the cruise was. More recently I spoke with someone who went on the 5 night cruise out of Baltimore on the Grandeur and they were told RC doesn't serve lobster on 5 night cruises. Then I talked to someone who went on the 5 night cruise on the Empress of the Seas out of Florida and they had lobster every night! I know lobster doesn't make the whole cruise, but it sure is a nice touch on a cruise and something to look forward to.

The cruises that we have been on that were less than 7 nights did not serve Lobster. I know what you mean tho it makes the whole cruise experience alittle more special with those extra treats. I wish that they all had at least one shell fish dish each night.

IMO, you're not missing anything on the cruises that they don't have lobster. They try hard but lobster just isn't a dish well suited for mass production of the galley's of a cruise ship. It tends to get overdone and they just laddle a little lemon butter over it rather than having the candle warmed butter on the table (big time fire hazard for a ship).

I've found on that particular menu that there are other things we enjoy that they are better suited for cruise ship gallay prepreation.

That's BS--our cruise was 5 nights & there was lobster (called the Fisherman's plate).

Keep in mind that if we all were to E-mail RCI we would probably get as many different answers as E-mails sent.

Either their people are not well versed on RCI policy or RCI tends not to alway follow their policy. I lean towards the later of the two. My guess would be that on you're 5 night cruise, they managed to get lobster. Their policy probably states they don't serve it, just in case it's to expensive that week, not available, they're rotating the menu with the other cruise itenerary that particular ship does or any other number of reasons they might not have it.

Keep in mind that the written policy states no beverages may be brought onboard but most of us can attest to bringing soda and bottled water onboard. Thus written policy differs from practiced policy.

IMO, on anything less than 7 nights it's a crap shoot. While their policy may state lobster only on 7 nights or longer cruises, you may find they're serving it on the shorter cruises occasionally as well. You just might not be able to count on it.

I don't know why people make a big deal out of this. That creature they serve aboard the ships doesn't taste anything like what we in New England call lobster. Whatever the thing is, if you are on a cruise with me you are welcome to my portion.

Archived