Hotels?

hannahsmomtoo

Hi everyone. We just got off the Magic....and booked the Dream for next October out of NOLA. We would like to fly in a day or two early... see some sights... but we will not have a vehicle

Can someone tell me..

1. How far is the airport from the port area?

2. Is there an area we could stay in where we could see some New Orleans history and still be able to taxi to the port the next day/

I guess I am asking how spread out everything is...

Thanks !!!

Not very close. The airport is out west near the lake. You will probably need to cab it in to downtown.

2. Is there an area we could stay in where we could see some New Orleans history and still be able to taxi to the port the next day/,

You can stay in the business district within walking distance of the French quarter, or in the quarter itself. It is a short ride to the cruise terminal from either. Basically, the FQ is on one side of Canal and the business district on the other, so walking around is possible, almost necessary, and usually enjoyable. Street car line along the river can take you to the French market area, which is in the quarter. Another line can take you up St. Charles to the Garden district.

The quarter and business district are pretty compact. No need to worry about that if you are ambulatory.

Hi everyone. We just got off the Magic....and booked the Dream for next October out of NOLA. We would like to fly in a day or two early... see some sights... but we will not have a vehicle

Can someone tell me..

2. Is there an area we could stay in where we could see some New Orleans history and still be able to taxi to the port the next day/

Thanks !!!

New Orleans is well worth adding as many extra days as you can. Plenty to see and do. The airport is at least 20 minutes away, and NOT the place to stay for enjoying the Quarter. The French Quarter and Central Business District are good locations with easy access to all attractions. NO car is needed. Cabs are reasonable, buses and streetcars available. The French Quarter on foot is the way to go anyway.

I highly recommend, and have stayed for years at the La Quinta. Plenty of other great places to stay. BUT pay attention to the location- it is important.

From the airport- it is a fixed fare of $33+++ for 2 people. 3 or more it is $14 per person. I take the Jefferson bus, from the airport, $2 pp, to Loyola. I walk to the La Quinta, several blocks, or you can cross the street and get on the Loyola Streetcar, and get off in at Camp, for $1.25. You DO have to pack light, and can't have more than 1 medium size bag riding either the street car or buses. You also must be able to lift your bags on and off. So certainly not for everyone.

New Orleans is well worth adding as many extra days as you can. Plenty to see and do. The airport is at least 20 minutes away, and NOT the place to stay for enjoying the Quarter. The French Quarter and Central Business District are good locations with easy access to all attractions. NO car is needed. Cabs are reasonable, buses and streetcars available. The French Quarter on foot is the way to go anyway.

I highly recommend, and have stayed for years at the La Quinta. Plenty of other great places to stay. BUT pay attention to the location- it is important.

From the airport- it is a fixed fare of $33+++ for 2 people. 3 or more it is $14 per person. I take the Jefferson bus, from the airport, $2 pp, to Loyola. I walk to the La Quinta, several blocks, or you can cross the street and get on the Loyola Streetcar, and get off in at Camp, for $1.25. You DO have to pack light, and can't have more than 1 medium size bag riding either the street car or buses. You also must be able to lift your bags on and off. So certainly not for everyone.

So if we taxi'd from the Airport to the LaQuinta French Quarter...

How far would the cruise port be?

So if we taxi'd from the Airport to the LaQuinta French Quarter...

How far would the cruise port be?

I walk to the cruise terminal. A cab would probably be less than $10+, I'm guessing? It's maybe a mile, mile ++ or so.

I wouldn't recommend taking luggage on the streetcar, unless you are just carrying a very small bag. If you have enough money to go on a cruise, surely you have enough to pay for cabs to get you where you need to go. If not, you probably don't need to be going at all.

I wouldn't recommend taking luggage on the streetcar, unless you are just carrying a very small bag. If you have enough money to go on a cruise, surely you have enough to pay for cabs to get you where you need to go. If not, you probably don't need to be going at all.

This is the OP - and I would like to point out that my post said nothing about luggage on street cars. Since the cruise is a year away and paid in full, I don't think finances are an issue...and our intent is to taxi etc. from location to location. ( Although we will ride the streetcars for fun I'm sure ) However, thank you for your snide response. Good ol' Cruise Critic... there always has to be one !

Edited by hannahsmomtoo

You can also take the Streetcar, would involve a few blocks worth of walking and the ability to handle all your own luggage= packing light is the key. :) $1.25pp

Thanks :D No luggage on street cars for us.. but we did finally pick a hotel very close to a street car line....so that will be fun to see some sights !

This is the OP - and I would like to point out that my post said nothing about luggage on street cars. Since the cruise is a year away and paid in full, I don't think finances are an issue...and our intent is to taxi etc. from location to location. ( Although we will ride the streetcars for fun I'm sure ) However, thank you for your snide response. Good ol' Cruise Critic... there always has to be one !

It was really a response to BQ's streetcar suggestion, not so much to you. And to so many people who make posts trying to save a pittance here or there by avoiding a few dollars for a cab ride. Let's face it, there's a lot of them. It mystifies me.

I am sorry if I offended you.