Old river road plantation tours?

realtorlady42

I think we are going to use these guys for our plantation tour and their combo swamp tour.

Has anyone recently taken a tour with them?

There are several I would like to do but for this trip We need to decide between Oak Ally and Laura or Oak Ally and Evergreen.

I am leaning towards Evergreen because it is a more complete complex.

Has anyone done both? Can you compare the two (Laura and Evergreen) with specific details.

Also if anyone has done the swamp tour combo can you tell me what is offered on the lunch menu? From the reviews I have read it looks great to me...but lots of seafood, and DH does not typically like seafood

Thank you :)

I think seeing Laura Plantation is a must because it will give you a better understanding of Louisiana "plantation life" because you will also get the perspective on Creole life. Laura Plantation is a Creole Plantation and you will hear more in-depth history there. Creole is the non-Anglo-Saxon culture that was a big part of Louisiana and its unique culture. Buildings without stories are not as interesting (at least to me). As for Evergreen and Oak Alley, either one would be a good 2nd but for a more well-rounded experience, I would choose Laura as one of the choices.

If you have access to a car you can do any of these on your own. I have done Laura and Oak Alley, and definitely considered Laura a better tour, including the worker's quarters and other areas.

For swamp tours I recommend Jean Lafitte, which is in the protected swamp. You will not get the marshmallow jumping alligator stuff, but you will see plenty of wildlife and see some interesting scenes used in movies, since they tend to be recorded in that swamp.

If you have access to a car you can do any of these on your own. I have done Laura and Oak Alley, and definitely considered Laura a better tour, including the worker's quarters and other areas.

For swamp tours I recommend Jean Lafitte, which is in the protected swamp. You will not get the marshmallow jumping alligator stuff, but you will see plenty of wildlife and see some interesting scenes used in movies, since they tend to be recorded in that swamp.

Thanks for the feedback. We do not have access to a car. We considered renting a car for the day but when I looked inot all the logistics and to the extra benefit of the tour guide/historian telling us lots of background on the drive...we decided thsi would be better for us.

No marshmello shenanagens with this company..and not expecting to see many gaters in mid January either way.

I discussed it with my DH and we are going to do Oak Ally and Evergreen this time and next time we are in NOLA we will visit Laura.

Sounds like you've got it all planned out. We had a good tour at Oak Alley and there was quite a bit of the family story told, but the history was not near as in depth as it was at Laura. Oak Alley seems to have torn down and removed any of the signs that slaves were used on the plantation.

If they let you stop for lunch while you are in Vacherie make sure you stop at b and c seafood. It is worth the trip alone. .

• 2 weeks later...
I think seeing Laura Plantation is a must because it will give you a better understanding of Louisiana "plantation life" because you will also get the perspective on Creole life. Laura Plantation is a Creole Plantation and you will hear more in-depth history there. Creole is the non-Anglo-Saxon culture that was a big part of Louisiana and its unique culture. Buildings without stories are not as interesting (at least to me). As for Evergreen and Oak Alley, either one would be a good 2nd but for a more well-rounded experience, I would choose Laura as one of the choices.

I absolutely agree with this post.... I've been to all three of these plantations, and hands-down Laura was the most interesting. I enjoyed the other two also, Evergreen is especially notable because of the slave cabins still in their original formation, and Oak Alley is jaw-dropping beautiful.... but Laura was my favorite & IMO the most memorable. It's a completely different perspective than the other two.