Review : Royal Princess

DrSch

Thanks for your review.....from the sound of it, if your issues were resolved on board immediately your cruise could of gone better...Princess needs to address issues ASAP and not wait until the end of a cruise to appease a complaint. By the time your done cruising you tend to notice every issue that is not right since you are "on guard" rather than relaxed and confidant in the fact that they will resolve any issue asap. Sorry your cruise started and ended poorly,,,hope the next one brings back that 1st time magic feeling :)

Thanks for the terrific review.

What baffles me is how people who love this ship, (or haven't been on it but really want to love it) cannot understand the complaints of those who find flaws with it and who must defend it at every turn. Equally baffling are those who find that this ship is not their cup of tea who cannot comprehend how this ship could be so pleasing to others. I think that there have been enough reports now that we should all have a decent idea of the pluses and minuses and can weigh and balance those to decide if this ship "fits". But challenging people who have a problem with some design choices, or bickering with people who praise a new feature is pretty pointless right now. That said, I remain curious about the pool crowd situation. Some say the crowding is a big problem. Others say not. Seems to me that both sides can't be right. This is rather empirical and not opinion-based, so more data points and reports are needed.

I have never seen an uncrowded pool in the Caribbean between 10 and 4. That said, I have rarely had a problem swimming my laps at 8 or 9 AM and after 4. Just wish there were some larger pools! (for lap swimmers you would need to do about 100 lengths!!)The one illustrated here looks longer than usual. Can anyone confirm?

I have never seen an uncrowded pool in the Caribbean between 10 and 4. That said, I have rarely had a problem swimming my laps at 8 or 9 AM and after 4. Just wish there were some larger pools! (for lap swimmers you would need to do about 100 lengths!!)The one illustrated here looks longer than usual. Can anyone confirm?

It's not that long, and you would have a difficult time doing laps in it, as it is very narrow, unless you had the pool to yourself. There is no machine for doing laps in this one either.

I have never seen an uncrowded pool in the Caribbean between 10 and 4. That said, I have rarely had a problem swimming my laps at 8 or 9 AM and after 4.

I was actually referring to the pool area rather than the pool specifically. My bad. In truth, for all the reports of chair hogging and lounge chair scarcity, I too have never seen a pool so full of bodies that it would be uncomfortable to add one more. Most of the time, (and this is borne out in most photos), you will see a few people hugging the coping of the pool with a drink on the ledge. Laps seem to be done during the earlier "jogging hours".

It's not that long, and you would have a difficult time doing laps in it, as it is very narrow, unless you had the pool to yourself.

The photo above (in post #62) looks like they were shooting for some sort of "South Beach" design where super models are supposed to sit around the pool area in cabanas, but not actually use the pool itself. Indeed, as one person already noted, the way the pool is situated, if you are not a cabana renter, using the pool almost seems like an invasion of space for the people who are. Like barging in on their private party. Even if people wanted to do laps here, I can't see how more than 2 people at a time could be accomodated.

When I do my laps its always way off peak times and rarely is there anyone else in the pool. Anyway, it matters not, as I don't think the Royal is for me for other reasons. I would, however go on any ship with a great pool for laps. Till then I will make do with the against the current feature on the Grand Class ships.