My first MSC Cruise - Divina Departing 11/30 from Miami

RizMerch

Hey everyone!

With my wife and me going on our first cruise, I had a few questions that I thought I should ask.

Any help is appreciated.

- Food - How does food normally work? Are we given timings within which food is served (breakfast lunch dinner)? Is it normally buffet or do we have to order? Is it free? Do we ever have to pay for food?

- Sports - I read somewhere that there is an area to play basketball, tennis etc. What are these areas like? Should I take some clothes in hopes of playing some basketball and tennis?

- On Sea days and/or at night after out port of calls what's there to do on the ship?

To be honest, I just don't know what to expect.

Food - you have a choice of having your meals in the main dining room or buffet. MDR is waiter service. The daily programme that will be delivered to , your cabin each night (for the next day) will detail opening times. Buffet is normally open around 20 hours per day, but serving different things depending on the time of day. Breakfast and lunch in diningnroom is open seating - you turn up during the published opening hours. Dinner is traditional fixed dining where you will be allocated to the first or second sitting and will have the same table throughout the cruise. You do not have to go, but of you are sharing a table with other passempngers and you know you won't be going the next evening, it's polite to let them know, so they won't delay ordering waiting for you to arrive. If you choose to eat at one of the speciality restaurants, that will cost extra, the other food is included in your cruise fare.

Can't help you with the sports facilities, as I've only used the gym not played tennis or basketball or anything like that. They are available on the upper decks. If you normally play sports/use the gym and want to do so whilst on holiday then pack sports clothing. They will not allow you into the gym if you don't have trainers.

There are a range of activities to do duringnthe day and in the evening. They are all detailed in the daily Programme. There is a show each evening in the theatre (well actually 2 performances, 1 for each dinner sitting), loads of bars and lounges with live music throughout the ship and various types of dancing. There are also things organised by the entertainment team like dance lessons, quizzes, bingo, games etc. duringnthe day there will be activities by the pool.

*AmoMondo replied while I was writing these, (saw now on the preview:P) pretty much the same though but since I've written, I wanted to post anyways*

Food:

The buffet is open for 20 hours a day (from 6am until 2am) with no charge.

BUFFET TIMES

6.30-10.00 breakfast

10:00-12:00 late birds breakfast

12:00-15:30 lunch

15:30-18:00 afternoon snack

19:00-22:00 dinner

22.00-00.00 pizzeria corner (pizzeria is available between noon-midnight)

00:00-02:00 midnight snack

You may have your breakfast, lunch and dinner in the main restaurants as well with no charge.

Dinner is served in two fixed seatings. You have to eat at your own time and on your own table. (you will be asked for your preference about timing in advance and you also may change it while onboard - I'm not sure how it will work with these whole new experience categories like Bella etc. but yea in your case I'm pretty sure that you can change your seating time if you wish to)

In conclusion, if you wont use those "specialty restaurants" you won't be paying for food.

SPORTS:

There is a tennis and a basketball court I think in all ships(?). I haven't used them but what I know is you just need to talk to the entertainment team to get the ball/racket etc. No extra charge.

WHAT TO DO:

There is a show every evening. Mostly visual. Acrobats etc. Not bad.

During the day, some activities that I came across include language lessons (Italian, Japanese), tango classes, crafting, games(Bingo etc.) and fine live music all around the ship.

Hope this helps and I wish you a wonderful cruise on Divina.

FYI

"Trainers" = Running shoes - They must be closed toe to use in the gym. There was a very mean lady standing at the door to the gym checking everybody's foot wear on my last cruise.

On the basketball court they are not as strict.

Enjoy your cruise. Oh, and don't forget to try the ($) Gelato at the pool. There is a small extra charge for it but OMG is it good. Well worth it as a treat.

Thanks for the great answers.

What about getting on the ship? What can I expect? Is there something I should be aware of? Things to avoid?

Also, when we go on excursions, what are some things you'd recommend to take? And what we take, where do we keep it when we go snorkeling and what not?

I know these questions are probably extremely basic, but I'm just confused since it's my first time :)

• 3 weeks later...

Couple questions I just thought of days before the cruise.

Wifi - What's the status of WiFi on the ship. I might have to work, so it would help to have WiFi to work during downtimes or at night.

Iron - Are we able to iron clothes?Some one told me that there is no place to iron your clothes on the ship.

Safe - Is there any place I can put my passport and what not in a safe?

What to take with me - Where do I keep essentials with me when I go on excursions. Let's say I'm going snorkeling, where would I put my money...actually, I guess follow up question would be, what do I take other than money. Do I take my passport? License? Any sort of paperwork?

Some have said they wore a small pouch around their waste, but I don't see that working when you go to swim..

Thanks,

Couple questions I just thought of days before the cruise.

Wifi - What's the status of WiFi on the ship. I might have to work, so it would help to have WiFi to work during downtimes or at night.

Iron - Are we able to iron clothes?Some one told me that there is no place to iron your clothes on the ship.

Safe - Is there any place I can put my passport and what not in a safe?

What to take with me - Where do I keep essentials with me when I go on excursions. Let's say I'm going snorkeling, where would I put my money...actually, I guess follow up question would be, what do I take other than money. Do I take my passport? License? Any sort of paperwork?

Some have said they wore a small pouch around their waste, but I don't see that working when you go to swim..

Thanks,

Hi,

There are several different WiFi packages available onboard. Also, if you don't bring a personal computer, you can access the internet from the Cyber Cafe. Irons are not allowed onboard because of fire hazards, however, there is a laundry service onboard if you need items cleaned/ironed. And each room is equipped with a safe.

Hope this helps!

Thanks, that was great.

I'm still looking for an answer for the last part of my question.

I'm not sure exactly what to take with me when I go for excursions.

Well it really depends on what you are going to be doing. I always have local currency and just one card (rest are kept in the cabin safe), I will also probably have a map and/or port info with me (or get it from a tourist info stand) because I don't do excursions and want to explore on my own. I also take the daily Programme with me so I have details of the Port agent! should something go wrong and I miss getting back to the ship. Cruise card must be taken and occasionally passport but don't worry about that! MSC will Tell you if you need to have that with you for a certain port. Everything else in my bag depends on where I am! what the weather is like and what I'm going to be doing.

It really is not really different for staying in a hotel and going out and about for the day. It is not something to worry about.

If you have time make a Laminated copy of the photo page of your passport, that way you can take that with you as proof of I.D when you are off the ship and negates the chance of losing passports while out and about.

On four of our port calls they would not let you back on the ship without photo I.D and the Sea pass/cruise card, one of which was San Juan.