Taking kids...has any one had problems?

jc24cruiser

Hi,

Ignoring people having issues regarding kids in general (screeching, touching food, pressing elevator buttons)....

What I want to know is has any gay/lesbian couples that have travelled with kids had any issue from other cruisers? It is the older generation that we usually have issues with and although the average age of cruisers is coming down, there is still a large amount of the wiser generation on cruises. We will be doing a Trans Atlantic cruise at some point with the kids that will be during term time, I have been pre-warned that these cruises have a higher average age than most cruises, so the next cruise will be a good eye opener for us to gauge that decision on.

We live in an old mining town in Yorkshire that is quite old fashioned and we have had people making comments, shaking their heads, spitting and hitting us for being a family.

Because of this, plus the fact that we run our own business and not all our clients are aware we are together plus because of common courtesy of other peoples opinions (though I am sure that I will get slammed for that!) we are very considerate of how other people view us. We will hold hands and give pecks on the cheek (away from our home town) but nothing overly sexual. Most people could confuse us for being friends or sisters. This is not due to being embarrassed of our sexuality, I have been in straight relationships in the past and was also not a fan of PDAs (public displays of affection) however I am more aware of it now I am in a same sex relationship.

My wife and I went on a cruise in April and were very pleased with the response (or should I say lack of response) that we received. We were comfortable enough to hold hands and give pecks on cheeks and had no issues from other cruisers. Our waiter was curious and asked questions, but in a polite and positive way :D

But we do find that we have more issues when we are together as a family, it was due to being a family that my wife got punched in the face at her place of work :mad:

Thanks in advance :)

My husband and I have sailed many times with our sons, on Celebrity, Royal, and NCL. Never had any problems at all. We are also multi-racial, and even that never raised an eyebrow. Of course, we just go about our days at sea as if nothing is out of the ordinary. Because, in the end, nothing is ordinary!:)

Ed

Thanks Ed for the reply.

It felt weird even having to ask the question, I guess I fell victim to the stigma attached to cruises. I know a lot has changed over the years and that the type of people travelling on cruises has changed. I also know that issues can happen any where, I just wanted to be prepared in case it was going to be a big issue :confused:

My spouse and I have been cruising for a long time. We've just returned from a TA aboard the Celebrity Infinity, and remarked to each other how radically our society and culture have changed just in the past few years (for the better). We don't have kids, so I can't comment on traveling with them, but I just feel a comfort level on ships as a couple that wasn't there a decade ago.

That doesn't mean that some folks aren't jerks, but there are jerks all over. Have a great trip.