Jury summons during my upcoming cruise

Bevv

I never will forget my summons for jury duty. This is a rather small town and this was for a major murder trial.

There were about three hundred people that day to see who would be chosen. A very long day...however, I remember the judge was clearly not happy with one of the prospective jurors.

When asked about serving...he said that he had to be home to take care of his children....then the judge asked him their ages....He said, "Oh they are all grown....they are out on bail and have to be supervised"!!!:eek:

Needless to say after the Judge was able to regain her composure as well as quell the laughter in the courtroom.. he was not excused!!:D

I'll be on that cruise too! Are you on the Roll Call? (Jury would just have to go on without me!)

HEY KAT2099 ...yes, am on the roll call.

I am fairly confident that the jury duty will be postponed... so hopefully will not have to make that choice ;)

My son was recently chosen for juror duty. I told him, "oh, no big deal, go online and let them know that you are a full time student at the university 5 hours away (which he is) and they will excuse you, no problem!" Yeah, that didn't happen. They refused two requests to be excused. When he was able to actually get a hold of a live person, they rescheduled him during one of his school breaks! Wow, I was shocked. He needs to work during his breaks to earn money to pay for college.

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

I was told that I would hear from the court if I was denied the request to postpone. It has been a week and a half, and no call so I figure I am safe. :)

This was for Municipal court, Round Rock, Texas

A lady I worked with a few years ago took her name off voter registration because the judge refused her hardship

California uses Voter Registration and the DMV lists for the jury roster.

DD, who is studying in way Northern CA keeps her address her and not at school.

My son was recently chosen for juror duty. I told him, "oh, no big deal, go online and let them know that you are a full time student at the university 5 hours away (which he is) and they will excuse you, no problem!" Yeah, that didn't happen. They refused two requests to be excused. When he was able to actually get a hold of a live person, they rescheduled him during one of his school breaks! Wow, I was shocked. He needs to work during his breaks to earn money to pay for college.

Both DDs have had summons for the week after they were returning to school. We've learnt to go down to the courthouse around 10 am. Clerks are not busy at that time. Luckily the courthouse not out of the way for us.

You don't need go in front of the judge, there should be a number to call and then you may be required to fax you documents to the clerk who takes care of these issues. It's not a big deal at all and goes on all the time.

It all varies from state to stare. Where I live the sheriff is who you need to see to be excused. He has postponed some cases and refused others. I have never been called.....not in 60 years. Maybe it is because my DH is over operations of our detention center. ;)

Where I am from (New Hampshire) the courts may and will suspend your drivers licence to failure to show for jury duty without a valid (in their mind) excuse.

Being that my job requires me to have a valid drivers licence and I have 20 years in, you better believe I will try to get excused well before hand. Other wise I am glad I purchase trip insurance!

Jon

Edited by NH Cruisers