Do Butlers just come in without invite?

NoName

We did not have this problem, we did talk with our butler to NOT use the bell as we were cruising with a 20 month old who napped in the afternoon and we still wanted our snacks. He would knock lightly and pop his head in and announce himself. It took a day or so to work out the glitches, he was very apologetic if he startled us and we explained we would rather have been startled then have the little miss wake up!

Our last 2 cruises the butler always rang or knocked first but still came right in. Seems the daily snack delivery was timed to coincide with our naps. If this is going to be an issue with you let the butler know on the first day.

It did happen to us, once. It was shortly after we had first gotten into our Owners Suite. It seemed to be just bad timing as our Butler was just trying to connect with us for the first time. We chalked it up to bad timing and enjoyed the rest of our cruise and didn't have another repeat of this happening.

We had one instance in September where the butler knocked but came right in. Poor guy, he was stunned to see us in the cabin. He had seen us leave a few minutes before and decided to surprise us with an extra plate of snacks. But in the meantime, we'd returned and were sitting on the sofa when he walked in. The butler was horrified. We had to reassure him several times that we weren't upset.

I have been told by a couple of butlers that they are trained to never enter a room if the 'do not disturb' sign is up. They may knock or ring the bell but if they don't get an answer they will not enter.

In my experience they may call the room if it's something important and we do not respond to the doorbell or knocking.

That was definitely not the case with the garden villa because most times we were up on balcony when he came up...he brought afternoon snacks up there to us...but i think GV is totally different because there is no DND sign and there is no way on upper balcony of even hearing a doorbell. Good thing there was no nude sun bathing there ;).

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Forums mobile app

It might be a good idea to tape a DND sign on the outside of the GV main door, when you do not want any staff to enter.

I think that when the dead-bolt is on, staff would know that the occupants are in, and not try to enter without calling first. That could be so embarasing at the wrong moments.