I know this is a long shot, but...foreign exchange student?

xowendyxo

We are taking our foreign exchange student with us on our cruise in April. I did our online check in last night and received notification today that he needed special paperwork to let him into the US before the cruise...I think I may have did his check in wrong when asked his residence vs. his country of origin? I put Japan for both. Should I have put US for residence and Japan for origin?

Regardless...has anyone ever traveled with a foreign exchange student or had a similar situation? He has a Visa that is good until June of this year, we also have permission from his parents, and he has a DS 2109 that allows him back into the country (although we are doing a closed loop cruise, so I am not sure we would have needed it, I made sure we got it JUST IN CASE!).

I am very scared that we are going to get to port and they are not going to let us board the boat.

We took our exchange student from Norway on a cruise a couple years ago. We didn't have any issues, make sure he takes all of is paperwork with him and make sure he has a multi-entry visa, meaning he is allowed in and out of the US.

I would also check with your exchange organization, they deal with this all the time and can reassure that you have all the necessary documents. We are hosting again this year and our current organization does not allow their students to travel to Mexico. We went on a cruise earlier this year and she was not allowed to go with us because two of the stops were Cozumel and Costa Maya. We did get an exception to the rule, if she promised to stay on the ship at those two stops but by that time it was too late to make arrangements.

Edited by gottogetaway2

We are taking our foreign exchange student with us on our cruise in April. I did our online check in last night and received notification today that he needed special paperwork to let him into the US before the cruise...I think I may have did his check in wrong when asked his residence vs. his country of origin? I put Japan for both. Should I have put US for residence and Japan for origin?

Regardless...has anyone ever traveled with a foreign exchange student or had a similar situation? He has a Visa that is good until June of this year, we also have permission from his parents, and he has a DS 2109 that allows him back into the country (although we are doing a closed loop cruise, so I am not sure we would have needed it, I made sure we got it JUST IN CASE!).

I am very scared that we are going to get to port and they are not going to let us board the boat.

His current residence is US

Ok, I thought that may have been the problem....I hate this kind of stuff!!

His Visa is good for one admittance into the US, but we got his DS 2019 ok'd for entry back into the US for this trip. I wasn't sure if we were going to need it since it is a closed loop cruise, but better to be safe than to have to call his parents and say "Sorry, we left your kid in the Bahamas!" LOL

Thanks for all of your help!

Hi

AS someone that places exchange students, talk to your area representative or coordinator. They will make sure you have all of your paperwork in order so you can relax and enjoy this wonderful time with them.

They were my first stop! :D The only thing they made sure that I had filled out and signed was his DS 2109...according to them, he is in the clear. I'm not so sure about Carnival though.

I just re did his check in...I think it asked for his Visa number, although of course, they didn't call it that, they called it a permanent residency something or another....

• 8 months later...
They were my first stop! :D The only thing they made sure that I had filled out and signed was his DS 2109...according to them, he is in the clear. I'm not so sure about Carnival though.

I just re did his check in...I think it asked for his Visa number, although of course, they didn't call it that, they called it a permanent residency something or another....

He is not a permanent resident of the US. He is only here on a student visa. The permanent residency "something or another" they asked for is his Green card number, which he would not have because he is NOT a permanent resident, only an exchange student.

You also might need to check to see if there are any visa requirements for the countries you are visiting for citizens of Japan. The US may let him back in, but you also have to be mindful of the laws of the countries you will visit on the cruise.

Edited by DebJ14

Agreed that he's not a US resident. My husband has a green card; he is. If you put US resident it will immediately ask you for his green card number.

I have two or three exchange students (really long term "Homestay" kids) each year. I took my two Chinese girls to Disney last year and I know other Korean kids have been able to go on cruises. Am I correct in assuming the Chinese girls cannot come with us on a cruise without a special visa for each country? It seems as though Chinese kids need a visa to go everywhere. Just a thought. It's easier to bring them with us than get coverage to stay in the house while we're gone.