Table for 2!

capegirl

If you ask for 2, 4, 6 or whatever and you have booked early/paid the most then I would expect you to get preference in your request (seems very reasonable).

I agree, that would be the most equitable method.

So what I mean is, if two separate couples ask for a table of 4 then how do Cunard allocate that table of 4 ? How do they match the 2 couples ?

That's why I suggested nationality (language) and/or age. I've no proof, but I've always noticed that nationalities seem to be sat together (I may have imagined that of course).

No, I don't think you are imagining it. My last couple of voyages have all involved tables of Australians, with one table compromised of Australian's residing in the same state.

Maybe there is more to it than just the computer slotting everyone in? Although, my most recent voyages have all been itineraries that included Australian ports, which resulted in heavy representation of Australians amongst the passengers. Whereas on the transatlantic there were no Australians at my table.

For example, we're in our late 30s/mid 40s and when we had a table of 4, the other couple were of a similar age (mid 40s and early 50s) so I just wondered if that was by design ?

Maybe it is, I'm trying to recall observing a table comprised of very elderly and very young passengers (excluding children) and can't seem to recall any. Maybe the computer that assigns the seating arrangements has set parametres that include age matching?

Edited by Whitemarsh

The maître d' and/or his assistant arranges the final seating at all tables, the computer may play a part but only in compiling the list of names and details from the passenger files.

I've just remembered that the maître d' does have everyone's age on his computer for the purposes of allocating tables. I noticed this when I had a squiz at his computer when I was choosing another table to dine at.

The more I think about it, the more it seems likely that they do age match to a certain extent, where possible.

The maître d' and/or his assistant arranges the final seating at all tables, the computer may play a part but only in compiling the list of names and details from the passenger files.

Yes,I think this is correct. When we changed tables recently, the MD searched his table plan and came up with a table for six where there were four seated. He said "this a friendly table". How he knew I have no idea, but it was. Maybe goes with the job.

David.

Edited by balf

So my age theory might be a fair one then by the looks of it ?

It would make sense I think. As I say, when we went TA, we were at the lower end of age range (not the youngest, but not far off. I talking a couple of course, not children travelling with their parents) and we were at a table for 4 who were only slightly older. Now, that could have been a coincidence, but as now suspect not.