Snorkeling Grand Turk Questions

Cinedan

:Djaws001_zpsf52ebd16.jpg

Is it ok to snorkel on the beach near the ship? Can you snorkel over the major drop-off area?

I have never swam in the ocean before. I am a little worried about any creatures that could bite me:eek: etc... Has anyone seen sharks or any other dangerous sea life while snorkeling Grand Turk?

:D

jaws-3_zpsfc469920.jpg

Would I be better off taking a snorkeling excursion instead? Safer?

Edited by Cinedan

It's ok to snorkel there, but might want to walk a little further to the right (when facing the sea), a little further away from the ship.

As for seeing sharks, they only eat 2 people a week, so the ships usually time it so that when you get there, you'll be alright.:D:p But seriously, it is very unlikely you'll see a shark there. It'd be a treat for snorklers (or divers) to see a shark. The ones you might see, would more likely be a nurse shark, reef shark, or the harmless type.

Great snorkeling and diving at Grand Turk. Nice to have a boat to get you out to over the wall, as it is a bit of a swim.

I've used both Crystal Seas Adventures (wonderful people!) and Bohio Dive Resort.

You would be lucky to see a shark, and they won't bother you.

We did some snorkeling from the beach a year ago near the dock (north side in front of Margaritaville for about 100 yards or so). No dangerous creatures, other than fellow humans. Very clear water, a few fish, but not a whole lot. The water was pretty calm. We went out to right around the first dropoff, where it goes down to a few dozen feet deep. It was worth doing and would be good practice for a beginning snorkeler, but just not a mind blowing number of fish - need some live coral for that and there isn't much near the dock. On the other hand, the year before we took a snorkel excursion to just the other side of the island (through Princess) and saw a lot of nice coral and fish. The water was much choppier over there (on the Atlantic side), but there was a lot more to see, including a large barracuda that the ship's crew feeds and is practically their pet. Lots of nice conch shells just laying on the bottom in the sand also.

Went diving in Grand Turk a few years ago. Saw a pair of hammerheads. They are bottom feeders though and won't be near the surface chasing people.

What? Hammerheads?

I dove on two different trips there. Oh, would love to see those sharks.

You are so lucky.