Question about immigration

HazelSmrf

Question for those who may have been in this situation in the past.

We're cruising on the Valor in October with a couple of our friends. I am Canadian and my husband is American, so no problem there. My best friend is also American, married to a British citizen. He came over to the U.S. on a fiance visa, and they have since gotten married. He is in the process of having his status adjusted to a legal permanent resident status but that hasn't gone through yet. His visa is expired, but he's here legally while the paperwork is being processed. He basically CAN'T leave the country at this point anyways. He has applied for advanced parole as that seems to be needed.

Carnival states he needs a "multiple reentry visa", is this the advanced parole or is there something else he needs? If anyone has been in this situation before and can advise us what to expect from immigration at the port of miami, it would be greatly appreciated.

Bump, anyone at all? Or have any clue where we could get an answer? Carnival don't have all that much information to give, I'd hate to arrive at the ship and be denied boarding because he's missing something!

Question for those who may have been in this situation in the past.

We're cruising on the Valor in October with a couple of our friends. I am Canadian and my husband is American, so no problem there. My best friend is also American, married to a British citizen. He came over to the U.S. on a fiance visa, and they have since gotten married. He is in the process of having his status adjusted to a legal permanent resident status but that hasn't gone through yet. His visa is expired, but he's here legally while the paperwork is being processed. He basically CAN'T leave the country at this point anyways. He has applied for advanced parole as that seems to be needed.

Carnival states he needs a "multiple reentry visa", is this the advanced parole or is there something else he needs? If anyone has been in this situation before and can advise us what to expect from immigration at the port of miami, it would be greatly appreciated.

This is something beyond the scope of this board. It really, really needs to be discussed with immigration. I think nobody here would want to be responsible for giving the wrong answer.

Thanks for the reply. This is just really frustrating, because the only way I know of to "talk to immigration" is to call those hotlines. Well, every time you call those hotlines depending on what "agent" you speak to, you get a different answer! Grrrr.

I don't know if this is similar to the green card process, but when my sister was in the process of going for her green card she did not have privlages to exit and return to the USA. She could not leave the country at that time for any reason. I would have this person check because they may not be able to re-enter the US when they return from the cruise.

ahhh

Hate to give a different answer, but imagration is not going to decide if he can board or not, the cruise line will decide that, based on what law requires them to do.

I would call Carnival, explain the sitituation and ask them what he needs to bring, they will be making the decision on board no-board after all.

I am sure the line handles this kind of issue all the time.

Yeah, carnival stated he needs a "multiple reentry visa", I figure that's probably the advanced parole. I hope it is because I dunno how he'd get a new visa from within the country.

The advanced parole basically lets him reenter the country after travel, as his current visa is not a multiple reentry visa (fiance visa).

Archived