My time dining for 6-9 people?

debbs0723

Hi all,

I've been busy in here lately trying to plan a cruise for possibly our entire immediate family. Others are signing up as time goes by so it is getting more confusing.

Have cruised a few times before and always done traditional at 8:30 but going on the Allure it seems like there is too much to see to be in the MDR that late. I have a few questions.

1.) If we make a reservation for the exact number going that night will we be seated with other tablemates or do they honor the reservation for just your group?

2.) Is it really hard to get a table for anywhere between 6 and 9 people if we just show up?

3.) Let's say just 4 of us show up? Can we ask for a 4 top or do we automatically get seated at a large table?

It could likely be 10 or more of us but I hear MTD cuts you off at 9. This could get really confusing because I have no idea who will show up on what night. How does the MDR handle last minute changes?

Thanks,

Debbie

Hi all,

I've been busy in here lately trying to plan a cruise for possibly our entire immediate family. Others are signing up as time goes by so it is getting more confusing.

Have cruised a few times before and always done traditional at 8:30 but going on the Allure it seems like there is too much to see to be in the MDR that late. I have a few questions.

1.) If we make a reservation for the exact number going that night will we be seated with other tablemates or do they honor the reservation for just your group?

2.) Is it really hard to get a table for anywhere between 6 and 9 people if we just show up?

3.) Let's say just 4 of us show up? Can we ask for a 4 top or do we automatically get seated at a large table?

It could likely be 10 or more of us but I hear MTD cuts you off at 9. This could get really confusing because I have no idea who will show up on what night. How does the MDR handle last minute changes?

Thanks,

Debbie

This is my experience:

Booked a family reunion cruise in 2009 and at that time chose the any time dining for the first time because some of my family liked to eat early and I personally along with my friends prefer later dining and actually found this to be great since if you are out during the day you can come back, have a snack and of course decide to eat later and have a nap. This worked great for my family and what they did was coordinate among themselves who would eat when. There was a group that always ate together because they were the early diners and then there was a couple who chose to eat with just the two of them and we had no problem with flexibility.

On Carnival they made every attempt (I think this was for tipping purposes of the wait staff) to always seat us with the same wait staff but on Princess I noticed this did not happen - for me it did not matter either way.

We coordinated with our people on who was meeting whom for dinner so that we could always be at the dining room at the same time as they don't like to start serving your table and then have people join in and I don't like that either (i.e., they have taken the appetizer orders for 5 people and we are in the process of eating when 3 more people show up, then we have to wait for them to get their appetizers before we can get our main course).

If there are more people in a group on any one night than what the table size will accommodate, I believe they will put you guys close enough that you will still be able to communicate with each other - we have done the traditional dining with large groups and that is what they did, put all of our tables in the same location.

I hope this helps - I believe your choice is a good one.

If you ALL have MTD, there is no need to book reservations now...wait until everyone is booked and confirmed.

Then, once you decide on a time, you can make reservations. I would do reservations daily, if you are unsure how many will come to dinner. Larger parties are harder to seat, so reservations is a good idea.

You will be seated with your group...so if only a few of you are going to dinner, you can just show up.

I booked our party of 10 for MTD on a few nights for our upcoming cruise. If say 2 or 4 of them decide not to show up for whatever reason, do they actually need to contact someone to cancel, or just not show up??

Edited by missygirl1