How to Pack a Tuxedo

sowhynot

We're off next week for a Panama Canal Cruise for our 25th Wedding Anniversary. My husband owns a tuxedo and I don't see any reason why he shouldn't take it! My question: We don't want to take a garment bag. Anyone have any brilliant ideas on how to pack a tux so it doesn't get too mangled? I suppose we can always send it out to be pressed when we arrive on the ship but just as soon not have to do that.

Any help would be appreciated!

We're off next week for a Panama Canal Cruise for our 25th Wedding Anniversary. My husband owns a tuxedo and I don't see any reason why he shouldn't take it! My question: We don't want to take a garment bag. Anyone have any brilliant ideas on how to pack a tux so it doesn't get too mangled? I suppose we can always send it out to be pressed when we arrive on the ship but just as soon not have to do that.

Any help would be appreciated!

Put the tuxedo on a hanger - you can put some tissue paper (the kind used for wrapping gifts) in the sleeves. Cover with the plastic bag from the dry cleaner. Make a knot at the bottom creating a little air cushion around the tux. After you've placed everything in your suitcase, gently lay the tux on top of everything else, folded in half. When you arrive, immediately take out of the suitcase and remove tha plastic and hang in the closet.

I pack all my silks and linens this way and never have any wrinkles in my clothes. I usually pack about two hangers per garment bag and gently place all the hanging items on top of the folded items in the suitcase.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Jane

I used to wrap my husbands tux in tissue. Then two or three cruises ago everything shifted in the suitcase. I gave it to the room steward as soon as we unpacked and had the ship press it. I think it was only $8.50 well worth it. Now it just goes intot he suitcase and the ships laundry does the work for me.

Archived