Denied Massage?

msredbird51

They didn't give me anything with fine print to read. Just a very short one-sided questionnaire asking me name, cabin number, what treatment I was there for, and if I had stress, acne, muscle pains, etc. (things they could provide more treatments for). There was also an issue with trying to cancel the pedicure appointment but being told I couldn't because it was within 24 hours of the appointment. Again, I wasn't told of the that policy or given any documentation noting the cancellation policy. That was fine. I kept the appointment. Being pampered with a pedicure wasn't too bad. Ha! But, again that policy wasn't communicated to me when I made the appointment. Maybe there is fine print. And that's fine. Every place has them. They need them. I get that. I'm just saying make them more available/visible to your customers (and perhaps revamp outdated policies in the case of the denied postpartum massage). Maybe they were just having an off week in communication that week.

But its a waste of money doing half of there servies and products so feel lucky. The Messages are nice but all the paste on he face and rocks are kind of lame. Expecially some of there carpet bagger concoctions they try to sell you.

To you it might be, and to me it might be. But some people find it worth the money. To each his own.

GO MIZZOU!!!!!!!

3 months seems long enough - I booked a massage at my local massage studio, part of a national chain, 4 weeks after my hysterectomy - they require a doctor's note if it is less than 6 weeks after major surgery. So I left disappointed that day too.

But, yes, it's totally for liability reasons.

As has been said, this is strictly a liability issue. To the OP, I understand your frustration, but the spa did absolutely nothing wrong here. They have the right to refuse service to a client if they think it could be potentially unsafe.

Has anyone considered the spa's side of this? Yes, the OP may be 3 months post-op from her procedure, but patients certainly still have complications from surgery during this time period. If the masseuse were to massage her lower stomach/pelvis and she developed an issue later on (regardless of whether the two events are even related to each other), Carnival could potentially be considered liable.

Edited by UMKCMD

As has been said, this is strictly a liability issue. To the OP, I understand your frustration, but the spa did absolutely nothing wrong here. They have the right to refuse service to a client if they think it could be potentially unsafe.

Has anyone considered the spa's side of this? Yes, the OP may be 3 months post-op from her procedure, but patients certainly still have complications from surgery during this time period. If the masseuse were to massage her lower stomach/pelvis and she developed an issue later on (regardless of whether the two events are even related to each other), Carnival could potentially be considered liable.

OP didn't have surgery. She gave birth.

Never heard of such. I have been an OB nurse for over 20 years and have never heard of this nonsense. We even encourage massage during pregnancy. by 3 months postpartum the uterus is back down in the pelvis where it normally is. I think they were covering up for the ignorance.

I'm a nurse also and also knew that the uterus would be back to normal size 3 months postpartum and was asking myself, "WHAT??? First of all, if they're massaging the front side of your body there is no way they're massaging low enough to reach your uterus and if they are massaging the back there is no way they could reach the uterus from there either unless they planned on having a Sumo wrestler carrying the hot stones walk on your back!" This is complete and utter nonsense although with the legal issues Carnival Corporation has had of late I am not the least bit surprised they are erring WAYYYYYY on the side of caution. I'd go get a massage at home and call it good!

Edited by Vanessa L

This is NOT a liability issue as there is no liability that is possible. A back passage can in no way affect the uturus regardless of how far out from her pregnancy she is. Also - she did not have surgery. She had normal child birth. People have been doing that for thousands of years

Better off they said no. You saved a small fortune. I buy gift certificates from those daily deal websites that are well known and quite reputable and get monthly massages and facials for $39 per service max. This is all done at luxury spas that charge 3x as much normally. I just go for the special promos they do over the websites.

Would never even consider doing one on the ship but I certainly go for my discount stuff right beforehand cruise! Lol. And sometimes right after as well and still spend less than the ship spa.

I have been a Labor and Delivery Nurse for 23 years, working at women's hospital. We have massage services at our hospital where someone can buy a massage for someone that is NEWLY delivered. They will not do them on the day of delivery, but other than that there is no contraindication. We have long term antepartum patients, as well. They can have a fifteen minute at no charge every day.

Having said that, I'm sure they were just trying to be safe. Treat yourself to a massage now.

At the medical center where I had my daughter you got a free massage and a free steak dinner for you and your spouse. I had a c-section and had it done 2 days after delivery in the hospital. Maybe it has something to do with their liability Insurance?

OP didn't have surgery. She gave birth.

As a physician, trust me when I say that those in the medical community certainly consider a c-section a surgical procedure.

Edited by UMKCMD

As a physician, trust me when I say that those in the medical community certainly consider a c-section a surgical procedure.

Unless I'm misreading her original post, she had a normal vaginal delivery and that, according to the rules, she would have had to been post op 1 year for a C-Section birth before she could get a massage. That seems unrealistically excessive, IMHO. The OB/GYNs I worked for encouraged their patients to get massages before and after childbirth.

I am not an idiot. I know a C-section is surgery. Re-read the OP. She gave vaginal birth and was told she couldn't get a massage in the Carnival spa until she was 6 months postpartum. She then added the information that IF it had been a C-section, it would have been a YEAR postpartum.

Unless I'm misreading her original post, she had a normal vaginal delivery and that, according to the rules, she would have had to been post op 1 year for a C-Section birth before she could get a massage. That seems unrealistically excessive, IMHO. The OB/GYNs I worked for encouraged their patients to get massages before and after childbirth.

I am not an idiot. I know a C-section is surgery. Re-read the OP. She gave vaginal birth and was told she couldn't get a massage in the Carnival spa until she was 6 months postpartum. She then added the information that IF it had been a C-section, it would have been a YEAR postpartum.

You're both correct in reading my post. No surgery for me. You're also correct in that I did say I was told by Spa Carnival 6 months postpartum for my vaginal delivery, 1 year if I would've had a c-section. Very outdated policies from what I can tell. Yes, I. Know they're covering their behinds. Just seems excessive.

Next week, when we have the grandparents here to babysit, I'll be visiting a local spa and getting the massage there. They can enjoy the money and it will stay local. So yay for me and the spa. And I can't wait!

If/when I hear anything back from Carnival I'll come back to update.

Thanks for the insights, thoughts, and experiences!