Bacardi Tour and/or Walking Tour?

rianthelion

Hello!

This is my fiancé and I's first cruise for our honeymoon. I'm interested in taking a walking tour and/or touring the Bacardi factory. I read on Carnival's Bacardi tour reviews that it isn't that great of a tour because they do not show you the rum making process. I have a couple questions for anyone that has experience:

1. Has anyone ever been on a Bacardi factory tour with Carnival, independently, or through a private tour company, and how was it?

2. Is it really worth it to pay $40 for a walking tour, or is it easy to DIY? (For example, I have heard it is a small island. Are maps available so that we can educate and tour the island ourselves?)

Thanks!

Rian

We took the Bacardi tour off the the Celebrity Summit on Saturday and enjoyed it. The Celebrity excursion including bag handling and transportation to the airport after the tour, so we thought it was a nice use of our morning.

The tour includes a short tram ride to their visitor center. there you listen to about 10 minutes of the history of rum and the Barcardi family from one of the tour guides. Then they lead you to a theater for a 10 minute video with more details about Bacradi and the evolution of the company.

The next step is a replica of the original distillery where you learn about the rum making process from another tour guide. They really don't show the process but the information is all there. From there you go into an area with some interactive exhibits with some short videos and several stations where you learn about the different Bacardi rums including being able to smell samples from the different stages of the process and smell samples of the flavored rums.

From there you go into a simulated bar area and one of the tour guides shows you how to make three different drinks using Bacardi rum, including the history of the rum. After that you go into another room with some exhibits to looks at and have a chance to take a picture and send it via e-mail or share it via Facebook. Then you board the tram and go back to the welcome center. At the welcome center there is a nice gift shop, a bar where you can get two free drinks, and a smaller bar where you can buy a few other drinks like a Mojito.

As far as the walking tour, I assume that you mean Old San Jaun. There are self guided walking tour maps online that would allow you to do it on your own. We didn't use a tour guide, but I can see where using one would add to the experience by adding in the history and details of the sites, but it isn't necessary.

Hello!

This is my fiancé and I's first cruise for our honeymoon. I'm interested in taking a walking tour and/or touring the Bacardi factory. I read on Carnival's Bacardi tour reviews that it isn't that great of a tour because they do not show you the rum making process. I have a couple questions for anyone that has experience:

1. Has anyone ever been on a Bacardi factory tour with Carnival, independently, or through a private tour company, and how was it?

2. Is it really worth it to pay $40 for a walking tour, or is it easy to DIY? (For example, I have heard it is a small island. Are maps available so that we can educate and tour the island ourselves?)

Thanks!

Rian

We did the Bacardi tour on our own as we had a rental car. Bacardi does not charge for the guided tour, and the tour includes a couple of free drinks for each person. If someone is charging you $40 pp, I suspect that the only thing you are getting for that beyond what Bacardi provides for free is transportation to and from the facility.

My recollection is that the rum making process is discussed, and a room is set up to look like a production area but you are not actually touring the factory. The tour focuses primarily on the history of the company and the product offerings. We enjoyed the tour, but would not call it a "must-do", and probably would not have paid $40/pp to do it. But if it is something that really interests you it is not a bad way to spend an hour or two.

I have heard it is a small island. Are maps available so that we can educate and tour the island ourselves?)

Puerto Rico is approximately 100 miles (east to west) x 35 miles (north to south) .... it's a relatively _large_ island as compared to most Caribbean islands. You're not going to "tour the island" on a single day in port.

What you can (and most probably will) tour is Old San Juan ... that's where the ships dock.

This is a very easy port to get out on your own. I would vote for a walking tour of Old San Juan over a trip to the Bacardi factory. The city is very unique and the architecture is beautiful. If you did a tour, rather than on your own, you'd pick up more interesting history- but you could easily get a walking map and do-it-yourself also. Make sure you check out the forts that surround the city in your walk, There are plenty of nice local restaurants to eat at while you are out. Most people there speak English, so you should be fine if you need help or directions. There is also a free trolley that circles the city.

The Bacardi tour is okay if you have already visited the city. It is very easily done on your own and you can save most of the cost of the ship sponsored tour. You simply hop on the ferry to Cantano (50 cents, I think). It is right next to the ship dock and runs every 30 minutes. When you get off in Cantano, you follow the crowd out of the facility and go right a few hundred yards to a garage where taxis will be waiting to take you to the factory. If you ride with others, it should cost $3 each way. It is higher if you ride separately.

Once there, you pick up a free tour ticket and 2 free drink tickets and wait for your tour time. The tour last 45 minutes tops. Then reverse course to head back to the ship. The total round-trip time should be 3 hours tops and a cost of $7 each compared to the ship tour price.

Personally, I'd save the Bacardi tour (with just simulations- not real production) for another trip. I think you'd enjoy Old San Juan better.

Agreed: for first time there the town and the forts are a must. If you choose Bacardi, def do it on your own. No need to pay the ships expensive pricing. Bacardi tour is not that long...maybe do both?

Be careful.....once you sail, it gets into your blood, and you will soon be planning your next cruise

Safe sailing

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We took the Bacardi tour off the the Celebrity Summit on Saturday and enjoyed it. The Celebrity excursion including bag handling and transportation to the airport after the tour, so we thought it was a nice use of our morning.

The tour includes a short tram ride to their visitor center. there you listen to about 10 minutes of the history of rum and the Barcardi family from one of the tour guides. Then they lead you to a theater for a 10 minute video with more details about Bacradi and the evolution of the company.

The next step is a replica of the original distillery where you learn about the rum making process from another tour guide. They really don't show the process but the information is all there. From there you go into an area with some interactive exhibits with some short videos and several stations where you learn about the different Bacardi rums including being able to smell samples from the different stages of the process and smell samples of the flavored rums.

From there you go into a simulated bar area and one of the tour guides shows you how to make three different drinks using Bacardi rum, including the history of the rum. After that you go into another room with some exhibits to looks at and have a chance to take a picture and send it via e-mail or share it via Facebook. Then you board the tram and go back to the welcome center. At the welcome center there is a nice gift shop, a bar where you can get two free drinks, and a smaller bar where you can buy a few other drinks like a Mojito.

As far as the walking tour, I assume that you mean Old San Jaun. There are self guided walking tour maps online that would allow you to do it on your own. We didn't use a tour guide, but I can see where using one would add to the experience by adding in the history and details of the sites, but it isn't necessary.

Thank you for your help and feedback! Your reply really helped me to get an idea of what the tour would offer, and personally I think I am going to take a look at the self guided tour maps. I am a photographer so I believe that will interest me more :) again thank you!

We did the Bacardi tour on our own as we had a rental car. Bacardi does not charge for the guided tour, and the tour includes a couple of free drinks for each person. If someone is charging you $40 pp, I suspect that the only thing you are getting for that beyond what Bacardi provides for free is transportation to and from the facility.

My recollection is that the rum making process is discussed, and a room is set up to look like a production area but you are not actually touring the factory. The tour focuses primarily on the history of the company and the product offerings. We enjoyed the tour, but would not call it a "must-do", and probably would not have paid $40/pp to do it. But if it is something that really interests you it is not a bad way to spend an hour or two.

Thank you for your advice! Upon reading yours and others, I think we will going to skip out on the Bacardi tour. I was picturing more of a tour of the actual factory. I appreciate you taking the time to answer - really helped us in the planning process!

Puerto Rico is approximately 100 miles (east to west) x 35 miles (north to south) .... it's a relatively _large_ island as compared to most Caribbean islands. You're not going to "tour the island" on a single day in port.

What you can (and most probably will) tour is Old San Juan ... that's where the ships dock.

You are correct - I should have specified that we would be docking in Old San Juan! I think we will take a self guided tour day there. Thanks!

This is a very easy port to get out on your own. I would vote for a walking tour of Old San Juan over a trip to the Bacardi factory. The city is very unique and the architecture is beautiful. If you did a tour, rather than on your own, you'd pick up more interesting history- but you could easily get a walking map and do-it-yourself also. Make sure you check out the forts that surround the city in your walk, There are plenty of nice local restaurants to eat at while you are out. Most people there speak English, so you should be fine if you need help or directions. There is also a free trolley that circles the city.

The Bacardi tour is okay if you have already visited the city. It is very easily done on your own and you can save most of the cost of the ship sponsored tour. You simply hop on the ferry to Cantano (50 cents, I think). It is right next to the ship dock and runs every 30 minutes. When you get off in Cantano, you follow the crowd out of the facility and go right a few hundred yards to a garage where taxis will be waiting to take you to the factory. If you ride with others, it should cost $3 each way. It is higher if you ride separately.

Once there, you pick up a free tour ticket and 2 free drink tickets and wait for your tour time. The tour last 45 minutes tops. Then reverse course to head back to the ship. The total round-trip time should be 3 hours tops and a cost of $7 each compared to the ship tour price.

Personally, I'd save the Bacardi tour (with just simulations- not real production) for another trip. I think you'd enjoy Old San Juan better.

Wow, thank you for your super helpful response! From your description, and the more I think about it, I believe I would prefer a self guided walking your so that we can go at our own pace. I'm a photographer and we both love food ;), so that seems like our best option! Thanks again!

Agreed: for first time there the town and the forts are a must. If you choose Bacardi, def do it on your own. No need to pay the ships expensive pricing. Bacardi tour is not that long...maybe do both?

Be careful.....once you sail, it gets into your blood, and you will soon be planning your next cruise

Safe sailing

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Thank you for your feedback :) I agree with everyone here about the Bacardi tour - I believe we would have much more fun our first time there checking out the town, local food, and the forts. Sounds like fun and I can't wait! Thank you once again!

• 2 weeks later...

I went to San Juan in July & did the Bacardi Tour independently. We took the ferry from old San Juan which was around $1 each round trip then a cab to the factory which was $4 each round trip. The tour itself is free & you get two free drinks.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Wow, thank you for your super helpful response! From your description, and the more I think about it, I believe I would prefer a self guided walking your so that we can go at our own pace. I'm a photographer and we both love food ;), so that seems like our best option! Thanks again!

You definitely made the right choice. I am a hobby photographer and Old San Juan has unlimited picture taking opportunities. You will love it. Enjoy!

My girlfriend and I took the trip on the ferry from Old San Juan. The trip from old San Juan across the bay was quick and easy. The way back was not. We waited in line for 3 hours just to get then ferry back. If you see a line on the return trip call a cab. I am not kidding it was a 3 hour wait!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app