docs needed for St. Martin

xray

If you miss the ship and had your passport in the cabin safe it would be waiting for you at the port office. but if you take your passport with you for the day and happen to lose it as many people have done... now your in a major jam.

So, you're more comfortable relying on the competence of the crew to actually retrieve your passport from your stateroom safe, than your own competence to not lose the passport in the first place? Sorry, I actually have a little bit of faith in myself and don't spend my entire life relying on others to hold my hand and take care of me. I have this thing called personal accountability.:)

So, you're more comfortable relying on the competence of the crew to actually retrieve your passport from your stateroom safe, than your own competence to not lose the passport in the first place? Sorry, I actually have a little bit of faith in myself and don't spend my entire life relying on others to hold my hand and take care of me. I have this thing called personal accountability.:)

If you had that much faith in your own competence you won't miss the ship in the first place.. The Captain himself gives the orders to leave without all passengers, and then a series of events must take place including having the securty department enter your cabin and removing your passports. If you think he that incompetent you shouldn't trust him with your life in the first place by boarding a ship he is in charge of sailing.

It would be a safe bet that more people lose or have their passport stolen on vacation in a year then the system I described failing.

Edited by Hstergo

Never needed anything other than the sea pass card. How ever I always take a id of some sort with me. The only thing you might have to have is a bottle of " Old Man Guavaberry Brand Liqueur" in your hand LOL. PS> it is GOOD

If you had that much faith in your own competence you won't miss the ship in the first place.. The Captain himself gives the orders to leave without all passengers, and then a series of events must take place including having the securty department enter your cabin and removing your passports. If you think he that incompetent you shouldn't trust him with your life in the first place by boarding a ship he is in charge of sailing.

I don't just take my passport in case I miss the ship.

It would be a safe bet that more people lose or have their passport stolen on vacation in a year then the system I described failing.

And there it is again. Everyone's favorite argument that doesn't take into account the gravity of the problem. Losing a passport will cost less than $100 to replace. If you end up out of the country WITHOUT your passport, it's going to be a substantial greater hassle getting back home. And don't give me this nonsense about them getting it to the port agent when it happens. I have heard plenty of accounts both way.

It's not just about the "risk" of either problem, it's about the severity of the problem should it occur. I'm sure a lot more people are awoken unnecessarily in their homes by a false smoke alarm then people awoken by an actual housefire. Yet no one advocates getting rid of the alarm in order to avoid the much more likely, albeit much more minor eventuality.

Amazing how many people fail to grasp this concept....

A little clarification please. Are you actually saying you'll go ashore in a port WITHOUT photo ID if it isn't required. Sorry, maybe you can argue not needing the passport, but an adult going anywhere without a photo ID is simply foolish.

I was thinking more of private stops like Labadee or Castaway Cay.

However, a couple of years ago, I went ashore in St. Kitts, with my ship's card and driver's license and promptly lost them while snorkeling. (They were in a water proof case - I *thought* I had hooked it to my swim trunks, but it floated away, never to be seen again.)

This was on a small ship, the Royal Clipper, which holds onto the passports, so I had no choice but to go ashore without photo ID. At the only port that had security chrecking IDs, I was able to talk my way past security. *shrug* (Otherwise, some one from the ship would have had to come and verify I belonged on board.)

Aloha,

John

John

I don't just take my passport in case I miss the ship.

And there it is again. Everyone's favorite argument that doesn't take into account the gravity of the problem. Losing a passport will cost less than $100 to replace. If you end up out of the country WITHOUT your passport, it's going to be a substantial greater hassle getting back home. And don't give me this nonsense about them getting it to the port agent when it happens. I have heard plenty of accounts both way.

It's not just about the "risk" of either problem, it's about the severity of the problem should it occur. I'm sure a lot more people are awoken unnecessarily in their homes by a false smoke alarm then people awoken by an actual housefire. Yet no one advocates getting rid of the alarm in order to avoid the much more likely, albeit much more minor eventuality.

Amazing how many people fail to grasp this concept....

The concept you fail to grasp is .. people lose things if that wasn't the case no one would ever need a passport replaced. a U.S. passport is worth lots of money on the black market and people have been robbed for them. Lots of travelers won't take expensive jewelry or cameras while out on an excursion for fear of losing them or having them stolen but guess what desperate people pay $ 5,000 for an American passport so there are people willing to do what ever is needed to including robbing someone at gun point.