Are we making the right decision

campolady

We have done two cruises (both on the Dream in 2012 and 2013). We have a lot of expenses in 2014, so have a limited holiday budget, and are seriously thinking of booking the IE so that we can still have our cruise ´fix´.

Can anyone tell me whether we will feel too old at 54 and 66 years of age as we understand the ship caters for a younger clientele?

I know the dress code is very relaxed on the IE but I do like to put on a long dress for dinner - nothing ´posh´ or formal; will I feel out of place?

Finally, are there any Liqueurs on the AI drinks menu or just Beers, Wines and Non-Alcoholic drinks? Is the Rosé Wine drinkable? Hubby is restricted to what he can drink due to medication problems.

Sorry for so many questions - we have been debating whether to book or not since October! If we get any positive replies to our queries we would like to finally book tomorrow.

Thanks for any replies.

Hi campolady

Go for it. Age is just a number and we are slightly older than yourselves.;)

We have been cruising with Thomson for the last 25 years and only had our first cruise on IE two years ago and our second in September/ October, both of which were for two weeks.

Dress code is smart casual every evening. There are no formal nights as such but there is a meet and greet with the Captain and Officers if you wish to partake and is announced in the Island Chat. We both commented that the dress code of the passengers appeared to be better than some of what we have seen on Thomson ships in recent years. And yes, long dresses are acceptable.

Sorry, can't remember about liquers, as I don't drink. All I can tell you is that DH usually likes a Drambuie as his nightcap and resorted to Brandy rather than pay the full price. He'll drink anything.:eek:

Just a note - Captain David Thackray has been the master for a long time and loves that ship like it was a baby. He is extremely laid back and very informative with a great sense of humour, although to listen to him it is sometimes difficult to see. The Captain did tell us that the ship is coming to the end of her life and may not be with the Thomson group for much longer.

So, go on, get it booked and you will enjoy it. There are some on here, who seem to have defected to Facebook, who have never cruised on any other ship.:)

Edited by skioncruises

Ditto everything Jan says. The ship is older than the Dream though but if you don't mind a slightly less well fitted cabin then no problem. I doubt you will find the clientele younger unless you want to go in August. We found when we went earlier in the season the passengers were slightly older than in late July but in general a mixed bunch. Even though there is not a formal night, which should please the men, the ladies often wore maxi dresses at night. Maybe not the full 'Gone with the Wind' ball gown though, lol. Go for it and enjoy yourself, it's better than sitting at home.:):)

Jan

Thank you both so much. Final decision will be made today - IE in October or Dream in November (only just seen that the Dream is sailing from our home port of Malaga in November which would save us air fares to Majorca).

Thanks again and a Happy New Year to you Both.

We were on IE in April, we chose a cabin midship (6060 o/side) hardly any movement and very close to the main restaurant, pub etc. Food was good quality, no complaints from us had breakfast in beachcomber, self service, evening meals in Island Restaurant, also self service, and everyone looked lovely like you do for a special night at a nice restaurant anywhere. Thought the evening entertainment was excellent but we were off the ship most of the day at the ports so can't really comment on the daytime activities but there are loads of fun things to do. Have a lovely cruise whichever you choose :)

You beat me to it Barnowl!

Yes - although yesterday we had decided to book the IE we were given a quandary when we saw that the Dream was going from Malaga next November.

Costing more but, as we have had 2 wonderful cruises on the Dream and Thomson are currently offering the free A.I. drinks package on her sailings from Malaga, the Dream won.

Have a wonderful trip in March and thanks for your replies.

I have to admit that we did like the Dream. The cabin was very spacious with a sofa/bed in the cabin, much more upmarket than the IE but then again you do pay more. At the end of the day it's the itinerary that counts, we went on the Celebration around Turkey and didn't like the ship due to the vibration but we would never have seen as much of Turkey as we did, particularly Gallipoli, if we hadn't gone on this cruise and enjoyed it very much as we stayed after outside Marmaris for a week. Actually, we would have enjoyed it a lot more if the Turkish guide on the trip to Gallipoli hadn't talked non-stop for 7 solid hours and wouldn't let us stop for lunch. Migraine later, lol.

Happy New Year everyone.:):)

Jan xx