Snorkeling gear at Sapphire Beach

4Tacos

Can we rent snorkeling gear at Sapphire? There are 4 of us (2 adults and 2 kids ages 5 and 8). Not sure if the kids even want to but I'd like to give them the opportunity if possible. We do not own snorkeling gear but i'd be willing to buy some if I need to bring it with us.

There is a dive shop on the beach that has gear for rent. Not sure of pricing. We bought sets for our whole family for about $35each at costco and are on our third year using them. We leave the find at home on most trips and Sappfire is close enough reefs that you can get by with just mask and snorkel and no fins.

We did Sapphire on Dec 12, 2013 so hit me with any questions.

How was the weather/water at Sapphire then?

We are in St. Thomas from 8-4 in mid-December. Thinking of renting a car, heading to Sapphire first for beach time in the morning, then moving on elsewhere for lunch.

We rent a condo there in January and the weather and water temps are great. The large freshwater pool is cool (only for resort guests anyway) but the ocean is nice.

Sapphire can get a bit rough on some days depending on sea conditions, but it is generally very nice. There are a few food & drink options there, or you could head back to Havensight and drive/taxi/tram up to Paradise Point for lunch with a view.

Secret Harbor is more protected and more calm but no shade for day visitors while Sapphire has abundant natural shade if you want that.

If anyone has rented from the dive shop - do you know if you can get lifejackets or snorkel vests there? My kids are 10,10 and 7 and are all strong swimmers. They got snorkel sets for christmas but I'm wondering if they would need life jackets while snorkeling?

Hopefully we'll get lucky and it won't be too rough the day we are there!!

Can we rent snorkeling gear at Sapphire? There are 4 of us (2 adults and 2 kids ages 5 and 8). Not sure if the kids even want to but I'd like to give them the opportunity if possible. We do not own snorkeling gear but i'd be willing to buy some if I need to bring it with us.

Just an FYI, I saw another thread today that said as of Sunday the dive shop at Sapphire will no longer be open so you won't be able to rent snorkel equipment or beach chairs. Don't know if it's true, but maybe something to check out

I would still consider Sapphire if I knew there would be food and restrooms but I'm concerned about whether either will be there. I think we might just change things up and try Trunk Bay on our own. SunSoakedSeahawk, what would you do?

• 2 weeks later...
We rent a condo there in January and the weather and water temps are great. The large freshwater pool is cool (only for resort guests anyway) but the ocean is nice.

Sapphire can get a bit rough on some days depending on sea conditions, but it is generally very nice. There are a few food & drink options there, or you could head back to Havensight and drive/taxi/tram up to Paradise Point for lunch with a view.

Secret Harbor is more protected and more calm but no shade for day visitors while Sapphire has abundant natural shade if you want that.

Just out of curiosty I was wondeing how much a weekly condo rental there runs...I have no idea? Like $1200 for the week or am I way off?