Help with 1 day in New York Pre-Cruise

widehunters3

We are planning to stay at the Hilton Penn Station Newark. If we arrive Sunday afternoon Sept 21 any suggestions as to what we should try to see that evening.

We have never visited this area, so this will be a whole new experience for us. We would love to see the Memorial 911, Lady Liberty, Times Square.

We set sail Tuesday, therefore we would have Sunday evening and Monday to see a few sights.

There will be four Adults, possibly 6 adults if our boys decide to join us. If the boys go there will be a huge age range. (73-25). My parents are very active and we have all traveled several times together and to okay.

We appreciate the help and suggestions! Thank you!

Sounds like your plans are coming together. I'd do Times Square the first night.

For the Statue of Liberty and the 911 memorial, you have to make specific plans and reservations and I would look at that now. For the SOL you can just go to Battery Park and look at her, you can take one of the harbor boat trips that will circle the island, or you can take the boat out to Liberty Island where there are several access options.

A more extensive tour of the SOL could take most of the day. I'd make the earliest reservations possible and make a more late day reservation for the 911 memorial. From Newark Penn Station you would take the PATH train directly to World Trade Center for $2.50/pp and walk down to Battery Park.

If you're not interested in committing the time to actually go out to the SOL, you can look into the Hoho buses that will allow you to wander all over the city on the various loops.

It's not possible to see everything in one day, so identify your priorities and the amount of time you want to spend on each attraction and come back for more advice. With careful planning, you can see lots of places on your own by walking and using the subways and buses.

From your hotel, go downstairs into Newark Penn Station & head into NYC. A PATH train will be your best bet, but check the last training times for coming back. They don't run all night.

If you want to take it easier on the day you arrive being tired from traveling, try to figure out if you can get tickets to anybody playing at NJPAC or the Pru Center. You can sample some rodizio in the nearby Ironbound section of Newark a few block walk from your hotel; it's a Portuguese barbeque over an open flame served all you can eat with family style sides; eat the sides sparingly because the meats are so good.

Refreshed you can do a full day in NYC on Monday. Make a list of your "must sees" then whittle it down.

PATH actually does run 7x24 just like the NY subway. It's the NJ Transit trains that stop running about 1 am. IMO PATH is best for going into downtown Manhattan whereas NJTransit is better for midtown.

Dinner in the Ironbound section is an excellent suggestion - I had fun dining there dining with other cruisers.