Cost of Renting an Electric Scooter

Elaine515

Without knowing the Embarkation Port of type of scooter generally speaking $195.00 for 7 days is average particularly if it's a Florida Port.

Did you comparison shop with the approved rental provider for the cruise line ? For example Carnival's approved rental providers are www.CareVacations.com and www.SpecialNeedsatSeas.com .

Rental costs flacutate and are based on the following criteria :

• Embarkation Port
  • Disembarkation Port. Price will be inpacted if embarkation and disembarkation ports are not the same.
  • if the scooter is to be delivered directly to the ship and picked up from the ship. Price will vary if delivered to a pre-cruise hotel or picked up from a post-cruise hotel.
  • Port fees that the rental company has to incurr to access the ship for delivery to the cabin
  • Type of scooter needed based on end users weight and height. Type required is determined by the rental company.

Edited by xxoocruiser

Not sure if this is allowed, but I got a price of $195 from Scoot-a-Round for a 7 day cruise. Is that a good price, too much, anyone do better? Thanks..

Scoot-a-Round will work with one of the approved ship companies. We used them last January for a 20 day Caribbean cruise. I realize price do fluctuate but we only paid $400.00 for 20 days. Perhaps it was cheaper per day because it was a longer cruise. Ours was at Port Everglades and was on the ship when we arrived and they picked up from the ship.

Edited by born2cruize

Thats not bad. Have you checked into buying one on ebay? My.in laws use them and they actually just switched to electric wheelchairs now. I got them there and paid $350. Considering they are thousands brand new they were very happy.

I saw your post on the roll call for the Princess Baltic cruise this July. My DH and I will also be on that cruise and it will be our first time cruising with a scooter for DH. I am really worried about the excursions being scooter friendly. For St. Pete I found the Liberty ltd. company offers scooter and wheelchair options, but I don't know of anyone or anywhere else that we can count on this. Have you researched this yet?

Thanks for your input.

Yoletta

Yliebert, if you find any information about scooter friendly excursions in the Baltic could you please post them here. Also do u have any info on Liberty in St Petersberg? I am sailing on the Eclipse to the Baltic with 2 days in St Petersburg in May, 2014. Leaving from Southhampton, England, so I would need to rent the scooter at this port.

Not sure if this is allowed, but I got a price of $195 from Scoot-a-Round for a 7 day cruise. Is that a good price, too much, anyone do better? Thanks..

I paid $195 with Special Needs At Sea for a 14 day cruise last March. Did you check that your cruise line will allow Scoot-A-Round onboard? It will need to be on Carnival's approved vendor list or they won't let them deliver and pick-up from your cabin.

Edited by Linda&Vern

I paid $195 with Special Needs At Sea for a 14 day cruise last March. Did you check that your cruise line will allow Scoot-A-Round onboard? It will need to be on Carnival's approved vendor list or they won't let them deliver and pick-up from your cabin.

Yeah, we've used Scoot-A-Round in the past and honestly have never had a problem but I got a little annoyed with them (my own fault) that I missed a 10% off promotion if booked by December 31st so decided to ask.. Kind of figured that if they could offer a $19 discount then maybe we could find it cheaper with some other company..

I'm going to check the Special Needs at Sea.. As info, we're leaving from the Port of Miami for a 7 day cruise...

Thanks everyone for your help...

I think that price is wonderful. But I am a little shocked right now. In November, I called Special Needs at Sea to inquire about renting a portable commode for a 6 night Carnival Breeze cruise out of Miami. I thought it would be easier for one of our family members to have this by their bed at night since they could not walk to the bathroom. They told me it would cost 300.00 to rent one. I thought that was really high. Don't you? So that is why I am shocked that the scooter is so cheap to rent. I wonder why the commode was so expensive?

Again, as I mentioned in my previous post. Scoot-a-Round is not the final vendor. They subcontract with either of the 2 "approved" companies.

Again, as I mentioned in my previous post. Scoot-a-Round is not the final vendor. They subcontract with either of the 2 "approved" companies.

I'm not sure what final vendor means but we have already used Scoot-a-Round about 5 times in the past so obviously Carnival allows them to bring their scooters onboard their ships...They might subcontract with the other companies, but I personally deal with someone at Scoot A Round. I did call Special Needs At Sea and they quoted me $175 for the same exact electric scooter rental ($20 cheaper)..

Mom is comfortable with Scoot A Round so I called back and left a message with a Supervisor there. He is suppose to call me back tomorrow to let me know if they will match the price... I'll update you guys on the outcome, but in the meantime, thank you once again for posting about the other companies...

Yliebert, if you find any information about scooter friendly excursions in the Baltic could you please post them here. Also do u have any info on Liberty in St Petersberg? I am sailing on the Eclipse to the Baltic with 2 days in St Petersburg in May, 2014. Leaving from Southhampton, England, so I would need to rent the scooter at this port.

I googled Liberty LTD disability and the info came up on the web, but I think they are only in ST PEte

Last year Special Needs at Sea's rate included full insurance. Carevacations charged extra for their two policies. Be sure to check that out. Also find out if the company puts a spare scooter on board. One year my scooter stopped working. Carevacations had put a spare on board, thank goodness.

Last year Special Needs at Sea's rate included full insurance. Carevacations charged extra for their two policies. Be sure to check that out. Also find out if the company puts a spare scooter on board. One year my scooter stopped working. Carevacations had put a spare on board, thank goodness.

Re: Scooter Insurance. Check your credit card benefits and your home owners insurance regarding rental equipment before purchasing insurance offered by the scooter rental company. Both my AMEX and my home owners insurance provides the necessary coverage so need to pay the daily extra fee.

Got it.. just got a phone call from a Manager at Scoot A Round (in Canada) and yes, they are a vendor who works with Care Vacations... But the bottom line is he was/is willing to match the price and/or give me a discount and now we will be paying $175 for the electric scooter rental out of Miami for a 7 day cruise :)

He also mentioned that we have rented with them 6 times in the past and we have never had a problem, so unless Mom decides to purchase an electric scooter, Scoot A Round will be our rental place of choice in the future...

Thank you everyone for your help/imput with this...

I think that price is wonderful. But I am a little shocked right now. In November, I called Special Needs at Sea to inquire about renting a portable commode for a 6 night Carnival Breeze cruise out of Miami. I thought it would be easier for one of our family members to have this by their bed at night since they could not walk to the bathroom. They told me it would cost 300.00 to rent one. I thought that was really high. Don't you? So that is why I am shocked that the scooter is so cheap to rent. I wonder why the commode was so expensive?

I was at a medical supply store today for something else and saw a portable commode chair. It was less than $100 to buy.

yliebert

What are your ports of call. We did a Baltic cruise out of Southampton in September.

We visited Amsterdam, Copenhagen, Stockholm, Tallin, SPB and Gdansk. I took a manual wheelchair, but a lady at our dinner table had a scooter.

Our ports are Oslo, Gothenburg, Tallinn, St Pete, Helsinki, Stockholm, Copenhagen and Brussels

yliebert

What are your ports of call. We did a Baltic cruise out of Southampton in September.

We visited Amsterdam, Copenhagen, Stockholm, Tallin, SPB and Gdansk. I took a manual wheelchair, but a lady at our dinner table had a scooter.

How did you do on the excursions? Are they scooter friendly? DH is going to start PT at the end of this month to see if he can increase his ability to walk some, but right now he is pretty limited. I had hoped to do HOHO but right now I don't think that's possible. Who did you use in St Pete?

Thanks,

Yoletta:)

I'm not sure what final vendor means but we have already used Scoot-a-Round about 5 times in the past so obviously Carnival allows them to bring their scooters onboard their ships...They might subcontract with the other companies, but I personally deal with someone at Scoot A Round. I did call Special Needs At Sea and they quoted me $175 for the same exact electric scooter rental ($20 cheaper)..

Mom is comfortable with Scoot A Round so I called back and left a message with a Supervisor there. He is suppose to call me back tomorrow to let me know if they will match the price... I'll update you guys on the outcome, but in the meantime, thank you once again for posting about the other companies...

I've also used Scoot-a-round for both land and cruises. If I had to rent it was always through them. However, the actual scooter was NEVER from scoot-a-round, they were from a local company (LA or Orlando for Fort Lauderdale). Besides as others on several threads have mentioned only 2 companies are authorized to provide mobility devices on American cruise ships (Carnival, Princess, HAL, RCI, NCL and others).

Edited by born2cruize

I was at a medical supply store today for something else and saw a portable commode chair. It was less than $100 to buy.

Yes, I know that are not that expensive to buy. That is why I was so shocked at what they wanted for a renting fee. They the OP posted the scooter rental price I was surprised how cheap it was compared to the commode rental. It does not make any sense to me.

Yes, I know that are not that expensive to buy. That is why I was so shocked at what they wanted for a renting fee. They the OP posted the scooter rental price I was surprised how cheap it was compared to the commode rental. It does not make any sense to me.

I'm not sure but I believe I read on a thread once that the cruise line will provide a bedside commode if you let them know ahead of time. It might be worth checking into.

Have a great cruise whatever you decide to do.

I've also used Scoot-a-round for both land and cruises. If I had to rent it was always through them. However, the actual scooter was NEVER from scoot-a-round, they were from a local company (LA or Orlando for Fort Lauderdale). Besides as others on several threads have mentioned only 2 companies are authorized to provide mobility devices on American cruise ships (Carnival, Princess, HAL, RCI, NCL and others).

My DH is thinking of renting a Travel Scoot which would be delivered to our home, then we would take it on the airplane to Southampton. I assumed if we brought it with us, it would be okay.

Yoletta

Besides as others on several threads have mentioned only 2 companies are authorized to provide mobility devices on American cruise ships (Carnival, Princess, HAL, RCI, NCL and others).

NCL only allows Special Needs at Seas. Here's the link to NCL's website http://www.ncl.com/about/accessible-cruising#guestmob

Carnival, Princess, HAL and RCL allow both Care Vacations and Special Needs at Seas.