entertainment and cabins

liverbird59

hi everyone

going on the Azura 07.02.14 can anyone tell me what acts or shows are on or how to find this out and where please

also we have booked a guaranteed cabin any idea when we will be given our cabin number prior to the cruise this is our first time with p&o so not sure how it works

any hints and tips from experienced cruisers would be fantastic

You won't know about the entertainment until you get on the ship where you will find a cruise overview in your cabin then of course there will be details in your copy of The Horizon every day.

There seems to be no set pattern to when you get to hear about your cabin.

Did you want any specific info about the ship or itinerary? Happy to help but hard to know where to start.

thanks for the reply

what times do the shows start?

is it right what ive read that taxis in certain ports charge per person rather than per taxi?

can you reccomend the best beaches to visit and is it safe to go into bridgetown at night ?

is there a towel station by the pools like on royal carribean and can I take the towels off the ship or should I bring my own ?

would you reccomend taking us dollars to all the islands on our itinery ?

thanks Helen and George

hi everyone

going on the Azura 07.02.14 can anyone tell me what acts or shows are on or how to find this out and where please

also we have booked a guaranteed cabin any idea when we will be given our cabin number prior to the cruise this is our first time with p&o so not sure how it works

any hints and tips from experienced cruisers would be fantastic

Could you list all your ports of call for this cruise, then people will be able to give replies that apply to each island.

Usually if I remember correctly you cannot take towels off the ship.

With getaway fares you are usually told your cabin number 2 weeks before sailing. You may or may not get an email to tell you it has been allocated. Around that mark start looking in your cruise personaliser on line , and it should show a cabin number . Do not print off your suitcase labels until you have the cabin number showing.

They usually do 2 shows per night that tie up with the 2 sittings in the MDR, so if you are on first sitting you go to the 1st show, 2nd sitting 2nd show. I have a feeling that 1st show must be about 8 ish as we were usually having a pre dinner drink somewhere ,when people started heading to the lounge.

Hi, shows start at 8.30 and 10.30pm in the theatre. They used to do early shows as well (ie 3 show per night) but they were not doing that on our recent Ventura cruise.

Taxis in Barbados and St Maarten are per person, but I'm not sure about other islands.

I would not walk around Bridgetown at night but it may be safe to take a taxi to and from a venue - perhaps others have more experience of that.

You can leave used towels by the pool or take them back to your cabin - your steward will put fresh pool towels in the bathroom. You CAN take them off the ship.

Take cash in US dollars and lots of small denominations $1 and $5 as you may get change in local currency which is different from island to island.

Hope that helps - enjoy your cruise. Sue

Think you've had answers to your questions now liverbird. I will just say about Bridgetown, that I wouldn't wander round at night. We went for a long walk on our own round the town last year, including to the Cricket museum, Oval cricket ground etc. When we got back we read about an incident involving passengers from another P&O ship. It did make us think we maybe should be a bit more security conscious. I wouldn't do that sort of thing again, to quieter parts of town. It's only about a 10-15 minute walk into town but this year we'll stick to the main tourist areas and head for the beach:) There are lots of shops in the terminal building and also a VG wifi connection.

Obviously there are lots of tourists in Barbados so if you want to get off the ship in the evening maybe head to one of the hotels nearby by taxi? As you leave the terminal and all the way up to the port gates there will be lots of taxis waiting.

Edited by tartanexile81

Liver bird . Most of the islands we visited the taxis charged per person. $4 each way to carambalo in st kitts one of the best we went on. $8 each way to cane garden bay in tortilla. There are water taxis in Grenada and st maarten to nearby beaches and you get a return with these.

Liverbird you can take towels off the ship so no need to take your own.

Bridgetown is ok to walk around in the day time as long as you don't stray off the beaten track but I can't imagine why you would want to walk around at night. Having said that the Bajan's are as friendly a people as you could wish to meet