Universal to Carnival cruise port

laurenpie

Hello,

I am staying at Hilton Universal prior to a cruise from Long Beach cruise terminal.

Has anyone got a good recommendation of a transfer company that can take us from Universal to the Cruise terminal?

Unfortunately, hiring a car is not an option and we were thinking maybe a shared van but not sure of the cost/company etc.

Thank you.

Supershuttle and Primetime are shared van services. So you might get a tour of LA before you get to port.

Execucar is a bit more expensive but you do not have to wait on anybody else.

There are coupons floating around the web.

Taxis are expensive but for an idea you can look at

taxifarefinder.com We find the rates quoted are on the high side.

I know it's crazy, but my wife and I road LAs metro train from Hollywood down to Long Beach. Forgot the price but it was at the most $10 alltogether. Pretty cheap considering the distance. A lot of people will say don't do it, because of the areas the train passes through, but we had no problem whatsoever, and would only do it during daylight anyway.

Another idea is taking the Metrorail subway Red Line from Universal to LA Union Station (the central railway station/transportation hub). From there you can take the Blue Line (more of a trolley setup) to Long Beach as suggested. Keep in mind though, the trains are meant for commuters and not for people with luggage. So I wouldn't recommend it if you have mobility problems or can't handle your luggage unassisted. I'd also go after morning rush to avoid inconveniencing commuters or taking up more than 1 seat per person.

The other option from Union Station is take the Flyaway bus to LAX (about $7 per person, operates 24/7). From there you can get a shuttle van to Carnival for about $25 per person (check their websites).

Both options will take 2-3 hours trip time while a car or taxi needs 40 minutes for the same trip. So it's a matter of cost versus convenience.

Taking the Metro is OK to take if you travel relatively light- 22" and a totebag and you are used to/confident enough to take public transportation. I know many in our area who refuse to take it. We have done it many times to Long Beach.

To do this take the

Red Line to the 7th Street Transit Station

transfer to

Blue Line to the Long Beach Mall Transit Center

transfer to the

Passport Bus

get off at the Queen Mary

-The Universal City Station is at the bottom of the hill from Universal Studios/City Walk.

-Only reliable bathrooms on the route are at Union Station

-$1.50 per train ($3 for both trains/$5day pass) + $1 for the Tap Card

-You must Tap the stantion between trains. It is a small silver pillar near the escalator barriers. This is true even if you use the day pass. Obviuosly you must Tap the stantion before going thru the turnstiles.

-Passport bus is free.

When exiting the Blue Line turn right. The Passport busstop is at the far corner. It will let you off in the parking lot of the Queen Mary.

-Download a copy of the Passport bus route. We once had to end our trip early on the Blue Line.

-Do not know your age. Even if you are over 65 you will not be able to use the senior rate. Only Seniors with the senior card can get the special rate. My mom didn't get hers for six weeks after application.

The Blue Line goes thru some of the toughest neighborhoods in LA. All of our major riots have started along the corridor that the Blue Line runs.

We have never had any major problem on the Blue Line. Only two incidents stick out. First was when we had to get off early in Long Beach and find the Passport busstop. Second was some of the truly unwashed in the train with us.

Plan on two hours to get to Long Beach. Just know that the Blue line has the worst accident rate of all the lines. Some ignore the barriers and other times people don't see the train.:eek:

www.metro.net

(Universal City to Long Beach Mall Transit Center)

http://www.lbtransit.com/services/passport.aspx

Edited by SadieN